1st real range trip for Tobuk'd RPK

Ok, finally found a decent/inexpensive range within an hours drive(about a 1/2hr to be exact) and got time to go. Went to the Quakerstown Shooting Range in SE Indiana last Thursday. Nice little range with 25, 50 and 100yrd allys. The Rangemaster is(I'm guessing) former Miltiary and runs the range similarly.

Anyway, I started to work on zeroing the irons and got close but not perfect. Then worked on the scope until I realized the mount had come loose. Forgot the locktite, doh! So I went back to the Irons. In the process of tightening my POI(which was a bit high) I started screwing the front sight post down(can ya see where this is going?) and impacts started disappearing, :unsure: .

Then it hit me. Grade school geometry/Basic Training finally kicked in and I realized what I'd done. So after a couple of full turns and my last 30rnd mag, I was close again. With one 20rndr left, I did a half turn on the front sight and started my 3rnd groups again. The white circled holes, on the Target pic, are from that last 20rnd mag. I figured out later that the rear sight, which is windage adjustable, was off one click from center. Which may explain my right of center tendancy.

It was still a good day, Esp since I had to pull the FSB off to get the original, end of barrel, bipod off and had a devil of a time getting it lined back up. Also I realized that my Bushnell 7-15x binocs was just barely letting me see the holes. So I've got a NcStar 15-45x, with fully multi-coated lenses coming today for just $35. And I plan to go out again soon, maybe tomorrow if I get time between trims and shoeing. :angel:

post-15573-0-49500500-1316624800_thumb.jpg

post-15573-0-51063900-1316624893_thumb.jpg

Ok, finally found a decent/inexpensive range within an hours drive(about a 1/2hr to be exact) and got time to go. Went to the Quakerstown Shooting Range in SE Indiana last Thursday. Nice little range with 25, 50 and 100yrd allys. The Rangemaster is(I'm guessing) former Miltiary and runs the range similarly.

Anyway, I started to work on zeroing the irons and got close but not perfect. Then worked on the scope until I realized the mount had come loose. Forgot the locktite, doh! So I went back to the Irons. In the process of tightening my POI(which was a bit high) I started screwing the front sight post down(can ya see where this is going?) and impacts started disappearing, :unsure: .

Then it hit me. Grade school geometry/Basic Training finally kicked in and I realized what I'd done. So after a couple of full turns and my last 30rnd mag, I was close again. With one 20rndr left, I did a half turn on the front sight and started my 3rnd groups again. The white circled holes, on the Target pic, are from that last 20rnd mag. I figured out later that the rear sight, which is windage adjustable, was off one click from center. Which may explain my right of center tendancy.

It was still a good day, Esp since I had to pull the FSB off to get the original, end of barrel, bipod off and had a devil of a time getting it lined back up. Also I realized that my Bushnell 7-15x binocs was just barely letting me see the holes. So I've got a NcStar 15-45x, with fully multi-coated lenses coming today for just $35. And I plan to go out again soon, maybe tomorrow if I get time between trims and shoeing. :angel:

nice, so you removed the original bipod? cause i had doubts on accuracy using the original bipod but it actually shoots really well with it.

Ya, it made the thing even more terribly front heavy when shooting from any position not using the bipod. Not like the extra thick/long barrel isn't heavy enough, lol.

Besides, right now I'm going for a heavy barreled Tobuk(Iraqi DMR) more so than an RPK. But with with the extra beefiness, I still have the suppresive fire capability. And I'm looking to Bullpup it later, maybe next year. Unless I tweak to the point of not wanting to mess with it anymore, lol.

Ya, it made the thing even more terribly front heavy when shooting from any position not using the bipod. Not like the extra thick/long barrel isn't heavy enough, lol.

Besides, right now I'm going for a heavy barreled Tobuk(Iraqi DMR) more so than an RPK. But with with the extra beefiness, I still have the suppresive fire capability. And I'm looking to Bullpup it later, maybe next year. Unless I tweak to the point of not wanting to mess with it anymore, lol.

ok gotcha, i know what you mean about front heavy, tried shooting it off hand and it wasnt pretty ha,ha

Its all about counterweight LOL, I put an Ace Hammerstock on mine with a Krebs external block. The weight of the all metal Hammerstock counterbalences the weight of the heavy barrel nicely and still makes shooting from the shoulder pretty easy. The overall package gained a pound and a half, but it feels MUCH lighter due to the placement of that pound and a half. That and a quality heavy padded SAW sling go a LONG ways.

Ya, w/o the heavy bipod on the end, the original folding wire stock makes the balance decent but not perfect. And I like the design of it as it allows manipulation of the safety and all when folded. The whole thing fits well in both my safe and my 36" rifle bag when folded. Plus that's actually a bit longer then it will be once bullpupped. If my spotting scope comes in early enough today and it doesn't storm(may go anyway :lolol: ) I'll be back at the range again.

Datrowl, have I missed the pics of yours lately? I've been trying to follow, but may have. I'd like to get a look at with it that stock. I understand how balance can make a weapon feel lighter. When I bullpupped my S12, it seemed only slightly heavier than a pistol, largely because the bulk of the weight(Reciever/Mag) was "shouldered" rather than out front. And I can shoot one handed, even at a full arm extension. So now I have a carbine(or shorter) sized shotty, with a hunt legal barrel(18") and manuverability is awesome.

Edited by BpS12

naw, havent missed it LOL, I just havent gotten around to doing the photo shoot yet, I rigged up so many in such a short period of time that I need to do a whole post on em... the pic interface here though is so clunky its a chore to do... especially with more than 1 gun... I got the day off, guess I'll see what I can do with it!

pics soonish....perhaps....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, got back to the range Thursday, was doing good with 2"+/- groups at 100yrds on iron sights and Uly ammo. Some wingers but not bad. Tried to rezero the scope. It's still off, realized the Legion mount was off again. Not sure why but the back end had shifted. Will try again in a week or so. Shot some 3rnd groups with various ammo, Uly, Win and Yugo FMJs, Rem MC, Win SP and Red Hammer(Barnaul?)HP. Was gettting under 2" groups with the Win SP and 1.5" with the Red Hammer HP. Picked up some Wolf Classic HPs and will try them out next.

Some good finds at the gunshow this weekend. I got 3-9x56 Illuminated RF reticle scope with 3" sunshade for little of nothing. No brand name and made in China, but we'll see how it does.

And I picked up two 5rnd mags intending to convert them to hold more(10rnds?) and they already do, lol. Finally got some Hornady SST in x39 as well as 180rnds of Yugo ammo. Will head to the range Wed or Thurs for some more testing.

post-15573-0-66533800-1318271735_thumb.jpg