223 mags bullet guide

If I remember correctly, pro mag makes mags specifically for the Saiga, the promags will work without a bullet guide as they have an extension on the front lip of the mag to help with feeding. I don't think Tapco makes any for the .223 Saiga, at least I have never seen one ( they do make them for the 7.62 and the 5.45 Saiga's). Personally, I prefer Tapcos over promags, if available and the Bulgarian waffle looking mags over any of the US made mags for the .223. Surefire or SGM makes some mags specifically for the .223 Saiga that work without the bullet guide and these seem to be quality items.

You only need the bullet guide in the .223 if you plan on using Bulgarian .223 mags or other Eastern Block .223 mags, and usually you will have to slightly mod both your mags and the rear of the magwell and top of the mag catch on the .223 Saiga for the Bulgarian .223 mags to work at least in my experience.

Edited by TJohn

I just finished my conversion and I am now 922R compliant. Ordered all the parts from Dinzag and they arrived in a jiffy. It took around 5 minutes with the Dremel to grind only the feed ramp on the Circle 10s (yay...sparks...steel reinforced) and they snapped firmly into place. I can grab the Circle 10 mags and shake the rifle vigorously with no wobble. Same with the factory Saiga, Surefire, and Promags. I hand cycled them all after fussing with the bullet guide a bit (the bit wandered off a little on the trunion so I had to position the guide farther back than desired).

I test fired the Circle 10s and they worked great - seemed to cycle faster and the G2 FCG is much better. Reassembly wasn't bad at all. I used a screwdriver to hold the BHO aligned with the hammer pin hole, used Spider Wire (you fishermen know what that is) instead of dental floss on the BHO spring. Then I temporarily used the retainer plate to keep it from falling apart while I did the rest.

A word to the wise - a drill press would have made the job much easier. I did everything with a vice using wooden paint mixing sticks so as not to damage the finish. The Dupli-Color engine enamel matched up great and I love the Hogue grip. I re-used the Tapco T6 stock and it leaves me with un ugly screw hole. Easy fix. I'll get a new folding stock and throw the T6 in my box of spare parts...lol. The balance feels much better after the conversion. Glad I did it.

Edited by chunga
  • 2 weeks later...