Trap Leages started today...

Well, I joined up the early bird tuesday Trap leage at my local sportsmans club...

I brought my Mossberg 500 with a XXX Full turkey choke, and of course my beloved 20 gauge Saiga.

I shot for score with my 500... OOPS... I should have KNOWN BETTER...

I shot a 42 out of 50 with the mossy... ok... not too bad for not having shot it in 3 or 4 months...

SO the guys were giving all kinds of looks at the Saiga.. "what is that?" , "Can you SHOOT with sights like that?!?!?", "Think you can hit anything with that SUPER SHORT sight plane? I couldnt!! " Etc..etc..etc....

YADDA YADDA YADDA.....

I went up for a practice round... 24 out of 25 birds on the top range...ALL the hardcore trap league guys were *VERY IMPRESSED*!! Got many "That lil 20 shoots really nice! I am SUPRISED!" and "Boy you can REALLY hit them birds with that lil 20!" I was proud as punch!! I kept thinking to myself.. I NEED my TEAM SAIGA shirt now!!! ROFL!!!

I COULD HAVE DONE WAY BETTER on the lower range, but I fucked up a few and I only shot an 18... ( total score... ALSO 42...)

The lower range seems to throw them a LITTLE slower... so I was overtaking faster, and pulling the trigger AHEAD of them too far... and I knew it... on one I KNEW I was behind... I pulled the trigger at the exact moment my brain said "OOPS!! TOO SOON!!"

Next week I am going to JUST bring the 20 gauge...

I was worried about flinging shells into the guy next to me at the next station... so I set it on the light load setting ( number 1) and I stovepiped about half my rounds, the other half kicked out about 5 feet to my 2:00 position... PERFECT... That was just what I wanted... not to hit the guy next to me with any spent casings... I was shooting ESTATE 7 1/2 trap loads... they shot EXCELLENTLY for me..

Hopefully next week I can do better on the lower range, and get the numbers up to where I would prefer them... HIGH 40's!!! We will see!!!

:smoke:

That's cool! I'm on a wednesday night trap league. Last week I shot a 19 on the 1st round (singles) and a 41 on the second (doubles).

The old guy that owns the place cleaned house with his .410. You're only allowed one shot per bird in the 1st round, but you can unload in the second round. We got 15 total with about 10 of us playing for $$$. 1st place gets $25, 2nd gets $15 and 3rd gets $10.

I also used Estate ammo - except it's #8. Stuff works good!

I was pretty happy with my shooting, but coulda done better.

edit: I used my S-20 of course.

Edited by dinzag

I shot a 23 on singles last night & a 42 on doubles. Getting better! Still wasn't enough to get in the money though. It was hotter than fu@k! I gotta get on the birds quicker - some of the longer shots are just winging them.

Next week we may do a round of skeet - should be cool - haven't done it in a while.