Izmash Magwell once again if I may

As I have several questions to the original Izmash Magwell I will open this issue again if I may. Want to make sure prior to buying something wrong or even worse drilling or notching something wrong

I do have it at home now and I do know the following already

Saiga Magwell Magw work if lucky out of the box.

Molot Mags work if lucky out of the box

The other Saiga or Molot Mags have to be worked on also if you want them drop free

Work might have to be done on the receiver and or the magwell

I do have the same magwell as already described here.

My holes on the magwell do not line up with the holes on the mag catch. They are basically too far back.

They are also too far up

If I would move them forward the front of the magwell will not fit anymore into the receiver meaning I would have to take away material from there.

The "ears" are pretty much in line with the bottom of the magwell meaning if I ground into the receiver it would not work unless I also take away material from the magwell on its whole lenght or from the receiver on the whole lenght of the opening.

Any advice

The receiver needs to be cut extending from the very back of the mag catch mechanism to allow the ears to drop in place. Basically, installing the magwell, at least the way I did it, is done by eyeballing it when cutting the receiver. It really doesn't need to be perfectly cut, although there are exact Russian blueprints for the cuts. I was just too lazy to measure everything out. Anyways, the install isn't that hard, the most difficult thing is getting the new mag catch pin and spring back in place. I simply cut down the stock latch pin and re-used that to hold the spring in place.

The receiver needs to be cut extending from the very back of the mag catch mechanism to allow the ears to drop in place. Basically, installing the magwell, at least the way I did it, is done by eyeballing it when cutting the receiver. It really doesn't need to be perfectly cut, although there are exact Russian blueprints for the cuts. I was just too lazy to measure everything out. Anyways, the install isn't that hard, the most difficult thing is getting the new mag catch pin and spring back in place. I simply cut down the stock latch pin and re-used that to hold the spring in place.

any idea where you get the russian blueprints?

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the links. I didn't remember where I got those pictures earlier and I tried to look everywhere more info. I installed original russian magwell also to my second race gun last winter with those instructions and that was quite easy.

• Like 1