Rail Mounted Fore Grip Flashlight Review

So you have just finished your conversion and want to get the toys for the rail. There has been more than one question about flashlights on the forum. So here is a review on four models.

Two of the models are fore grip flash lights and two are holders.

First up is the UTG MNT-EL223GPQ

It is a one piece fore grip with a CREE Q5 LED light at 150 lumens. Turns on / off with a thumb switch on the back. Has a quick release lever for attaching to the rail and it can slide on from the side. Takes (2) CR123a batteries these are located inside the grip. Very solidly built, out of aluminum. Had no issues with magazine insertion on the S12 or the AK47.

The UTG works very well and is the fastest to install/remove. I really wish they had put the button on the front of the grip though. It is easier to just squeeze a little harder on the grip, than to have to move my thumb and switch the light on. Otherwise it is a great addition.

The pictures show it installed on a S12, also there are shots with a tape measure. The measurement is there to show how far forward the grip needs to be to be able to install mags with no issues.

MNT_EL228GPQ_PRO_01.gif

DSC01575.jpg

DSC01576.jpg

DSC01577.jpg

Second is the Mako T-Grip

This is a resin/poly based fore grip that can hold a flashlight and is activated via a trigger on the forward side. The flashlight needs to 1” in diameter. Has a storage compartment in the grip for batteries. Grip was tested with a MAGLITE XL200 at 172 lumens. Slides on the rail from the front only.

The Mako is a very good grip, you just need to find a light that works well and is truly 1” in diameter. One issue that came was the TAPCO fore end is a little too short for this grip. This caused issues with inserting magazines. I would not recommend for the TAPCO resin fore end. I swapped out the TAPCO for a CHAOS (thanks Cameron) rail and the grip works very well. Really like the front switch for the light.

The pictures show it installed on an S12, also there are shots with a tape measure. The measurement is there to show how far forward the grip needs to be to be able to install mags with no issues.

T-Grip-2T.jpg

DSC01579.jpg

DSC01580.jpg

DSC01581.jpg

Third is the CAA Flashlight Grip Adaptor

Again a resin/poly based fore grip that can hold a flashlight. The flashlight is activated by a switch on the rear. The flashlight needs to 1” in diameter. This model also has a channel on each side of the grip for wires and buttons for lights n resin based fore grip that can hold a flashlight and lasers. Thumb screws tighten the grip to the rail and it can slide on from the side. Has a storage compartment in the grip for batteries. Grip was tested with a MAGLITE XL200 at 172 lumens.

The CAA grip has what the Mako is missing in you can run the wires and buttons for lights and lasers in machined channels that have covers on both sides of the grip. However the switch for the light is in the back. Had no issues with magazine insertion on the S12 or the AK47. The CAA also had an issue with using different tactical lights. The switch movement was not long enough to activate an Ultrafire tactical light. The MAGLITE worked just fine.

The pictures show it installed on a AK47, also there are shots with a tape measure. The measurement is there to show how far forward the grip needs to be to be able to install mags with no issues.This has the shot of the 40 rounder not fitting, can’t move the grip far enough forward.

FGA__72265_zoom.jpg

DSC01588.jpg

DSC01589.jpg

DSC01590.jpg

DSC01591.jpg

Fourth and last is the Lion Gears PowerApp Modular Light System Item Number: PGKT05

This one has the batteries in the grip and the light assembly is separate. The two are connected via a 4’ wire allowing the light to be mounted on a side or top rail if desired. The kit also includes a tactical flashlight body. The head of the light can be removed and place on the tactical body. This light is also the brightest of the three tested coming in at 320 lumens. Had no issues with magazine insertion on the S12 or the AK47. Takes (2) CR123a batteries these are located inside the grip.

The lion gears has two buttons for the light. One in front is momentary and the one in back is on/off. The grip is comfortable, made from aluminum with a poly cover. The wire connecting power to the light worked great while firing, however sometimes jiggling the cable will make the light go out. Really like momentary button on the front, squeeze and shoot.

The pictures show it installed on an AK47, also there are shots with a tape measure. The measurement is there to show how far forward the grip needs to be to be able to install mags with no issues.

DSC01584.jpg

DSC01585.jpg

DSC01586.jpg

Below is the testing video showing the receiving and delivery angles:

http://www.youtube.c...u/0/wJRcjurFbkA

You’ll notice in the video that the two holders, the light appears to be going on and off. I am pretty sure that this is being caused by the recoil separating the battery connection for a split second. The other two do not have the issue since the batteries are vertical to the weapon.

So the bottom line is all of these will be used. Some I like some less. I do not believe the Saiga .223 or the .308 will have any issues with mags, since these two rifles have basically straight magazines. The business members do carry most these fore grips.

Hope this helps in making a wise choice

Edited by Dad2142Dad
  • Like 3
.Trying to fined lion gears...I get nuthen.

I went to the sight...no price...no

dealer location. .noda

I searched via part number

http://store.a51tactical.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=46153

http://www.coolstuffairsoft.com/powerapp-light-system-pgkt05/

http://www.thecountryshed.com/flashlights_mounted.htm. (down the page a bit)

• Chatbox

Load More
    You don't have permission to chat.