Bakelite

Took the Ultimak, PA dot and SGM forearm off the 5.45. Figured a removable gas tube would make it easier to clean after running corrosive ammo. Was happy to see that all was good on inside of tube and GB...no rust. Hot water and Gunzilla worked well for close to 1K rounds. Also switched the Hogue and Draco Bakelite grip to see how it would look with the 45rd Bakelite mags.

5_edited-3.jpg

Now I'm thinking about a Bulgy AK47 Bakelite handguard set. Seen some at APEX, and someone on GB is selling them with the upper guard already on gas tube, covered in cosmoline. Anyone use these handguards or can comment on appearance? Never really thought about Bakelite until receiving the mags and the Draco pistol grip.

BulgarianHG.jpg

Edited by NM0

Bakelite... eh, it's okay. It's light, which is good, but it gets hot a little quick for me and it seems like it doesn't dissipate heat that well. As it ages it can get really brittle too, so it's durability wouldn't be as good as wood or a more modern polymer.

I like the look of bakelite too, and I have my 5.45 set up very similar to yours: ACE stock w/ a reddish bakelite PG.

I considered a bakelite foreend as well, but decided against it. Primarily because I couldn't find a bakelite foreend set that had the same reddish tone as my grip and mags, but an important secondary consideration is that I like the look of a full length foreend that runs right up to the end of the gas tube.

So I got one of the walnut Saiga foreend stocs from Rhineland. A few coats of Minwax mahogany stain, and it is a nice match. I'll see if I can get some pics together that do it some justice, but its tough since I just have a cell phone camera.

The Rhineland is new to me and I'm liking it. Been wanting to do wood on one of the rifles for awhile. This may just do the trick. It isn't traditional, but does resemble the factory handguard. Could look real good with a deep red stain and a surface that mimics the Bakelite some.

Appreciate the input guys.

5_edited-5.jpg

• 2 months later...

I was hoping I'd find some mags on this thread. NMO I never even considered keeping the saiga hand gaurd but it actually looks good that way on your rifle. I think if you bought another bakelite pistol grip like the one you have and bolted it on that hand guard backwards it would look even better. Just my input. Looks nice either way.