welding on HK sights..

I am not a welder... have not done any welding since high school and that was over a decade ago...

no gun guys in my area do welding.. I have a good friend who is a GOOD automotive welder but he lives 4 hours away...

I do have an ox/ac torch that I have used to cut things.. it came with rods? can I use this torch to weld/braze on the sights? if so what is the process.. a little help.. of course I will practice since I have never done anything like this before..

ultimately if I do bring them to my friend and he welds them is there anything he should know is any part of this overly tricky?

I understand the "shade tree mechanic" nature of my question... but I didn't get all my Saigas done waiting for someone to come do them for me.. but I also don't want to half ass it..

thanks..

It's a weld that's hard to hide, I guess you COULD booger one up enough to grind it down and hope you get all the air holes out and then fill them with JB weld and paint over it, but I'd wait and have them TIG'd. A propper weld on a firearm looks good, a glob of metal painted over makes me wonder what's really underneath.

I really wouldn't recommend trying to gas-weld the front H&K on the gas block.

Buy silver solder paste from Brownelles for that if you must do this with oxy-gas & get temp-sticks from a welding supply shop.

The chrome-manganese steel is very resistant to oxidation therefore will not gas weld well. It's nearly like welding stainless with gas. It doesn't really work too well & requires crazy heat..

You wouldn't have a controlled weld so much as melting steel.

You could pull it off on the dust cover with a #1 tip, but you really don't want to risk warping your gas block.

Silver solder, TIG, or MIG... Even stick in a really talented weldor's hand would be better than gas welding on an S-12 gas block.

ETA

Just re-read your post.

You're using a cutting torch.. You could use it to braze, that's it.

It'll blow a hole right through the cover if you try to form a puddle.

going to bring it to my friend and have it tig welded.. is that my best most safest option? anything he needs to know about welding it that he wont already know? he is a really good welder.. but being 4 hours away likely wont get together with him till after xmas...but suppose I can wait in favor of getting good quality work done..

I'd line up the sights with a laser bore sighter before welding them on. Make sure the doplier windage is set in the center on the rear sight before welding also.

Lol! forgot this was the 12 ga section.

Edited by ARMOR