So aside from the myraid options of 22lr variations, make and modles and cool aftermarket high capacity mags, and accessories. Why would anybody choose 17hmr over the 22lr? I'm not really clear on the advantages of the 17 round. Maybe some of you could offer your opinons, expertise. Or am I beating a dead horse?

I'm not sure either, except maybe higher velocity/flatter shooting.

Anyone got a better reason than 'because I want one'?

What Scott said (no "maybe" about it though). Also, the 17HMR causes a heck of a lot more soft tissue damage in critters.

Downside of the 17HMR is the respective price of the ammo when considering a .22LR.

The 17HMR will leave a VERY nice hole in small game or critters, it's basically a necked down 22WMR. I shoot the balistic tipped out of mine. Crows explode, ferral cats don't move, shot one in the neck, blew out the other side. It's just a fun round to shoot. Yep, the 50 round boxes are about $12-13.00, but the giggle factor on exploding crows, more than makes up for it.

Also the .17 reaches out farther with better accuracy. If I was shooting Gophers and pests, I would definately use the .17 over the .22 myself. Those bullets shoot flat and fast!! And yes, the splatter factor confirms your kills.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

The 17hmr extends your range out to about 200yds without much trouble, its much flatter and much better in the wind as well as packing more punch. Its a point blank rifle out to about 150-160 yds depending on zero.

The 22 is way more economical and not as destructive on small game. You really have to head shoot small game if you plan on eating it with the 17hmr with most availible bullet options. I shot a squirrel at about 100yds with a 17grn vmax and hit him in the shoulder instead of the head and there wasnt much left of it, literally exploded.