Help with Connecticut gun laws? G.I. 9mm carbine!

Hello! I want to cover my butt on my latest sale. I sold a Group Industries 9mm Carbine to a person in Connecticut. Here is the auction.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=255052901

I was told by the buyer that the IMI UZI is banned in that state and this is the only uzi type weapon that is legal. I requested USPS postal money order, a copy of their FFL and a written statement that it is a legal weapon in their state and they are legal to own it.

The first thing that concerned me is that he stated the FFL blacked out his number. I told him that I would need the number and would call the shop to get the FFL from the dealer. I needed a copy to ship with the weapon via the post office. Maybe this is standard procedure for an FFL? Anyway, if the FFL number doesn't match up with the address online, It's a NO GO.

He just called me and wanted to know if I wanted PayPal. Could be a newbie or something. Not sure.

Any educated police officers, dealers or collectors from Connecticut on here that can help me understand the gun laws in that state better?

I appreciate your time.

Nick

I don't know the CT laws, but I agree with your red flag on the FFL being blacked out. You can verify the FFL address with https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Never ship to an address other than what is on a valid FFL.

Check out http://www.jud.ct.gov/JI/criminal/glossary/assaultweapon.htm

It looks like since it has a folding stock, pistol grip,and detachable mag you are not able to ship it until the stock is pinned into the fixed position.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer
  • Like 1

This is such a gray area it makes my head spin. It's a pre-ban weapon. The law states: "No person shall possess any “assault weapon” unless

that person possessed that firearm before October

1, 1993 and received a certificate of possession from

the Connecticut State Police prior to July 1994."

And then goes to list UZI carbine on the assault weapons list.

This is an UZI clone carbine. Crap!

My gut says no. I contacted gunbroker as well. Called a shop in CT and they said they would say no to putting it on the books. Big dealer too.

AGHHHH!

http://www.ct.gov/dp...a=2158&Q=294512 CONTACT THEM THEY WILL HAVE YOUR ANSWERS.

Thanks! I'll give them a call tomorrow. (860) 685-8290 !

Based on the photos in your Gunbroker ad, I would say your carbine would be OK in CT. The CT AWB lists the "UZI carbine, Mini-carbine and Pistol" as being banned. They do not specify the manufacturer, not do they include clones. If there is no "UZI" marked on your carbine, then it is a Group Industries model HR4332S, not an UZI. Sounds stupid (and it is) but that's the way the law was written. The Norinco clones are also legal here in CT.

The ban on folding stocks, etc. is in a different part of the law and would not pertain to a pre-ban firearm due to an exemption in Sec. 53-202m.

Getting an FFL with a blacked-out dealer number is a raging red flag and you should not do business with anyone trying to pull this. The only way to use the FFL E-Z Check is with the dealer number.

Hello everybody! I was really nervous about this transaction but feel much better about it now. After doing research on the weapon and talking to experts in CT who specialize in pre ban weapons. I have come to the conclusion that this rifle is in fact legal in the state of CT.

Because the rifle was made previous to the ban by a company who did not mark the receiver UZI, it is not banned in the state. The "evil features" that this rifle has are not considered because it was wholly made before the ban. It does have a bayo lug, folding stock, detachable magazine in the pistol grip etc, but that is only considered on post ban weapons.

There are only a handful or rifles out there like this that are legal in the state of CT and I'm sure as soon as the guy gets it, it will double in value. The serial number on it can be confirmed with the ATF as produced by Mike Brown in whole previous to the ban.

I will be sending a letter to state that it was made before sept. 13 1994 along with the serial and model number. It will be notarized as well.

The deal with the blacked out numbers was taken care of, his dealer didn't want to ship out a copy of the thing with the numbers on it since his partner was dealing out the back door. The partner was taken care of after the other partner turned himself into the ATF. I will simply call the dealer and get the FFL number for him as I check it out on the computer. It will have to be the same address on the paper that shows up on the atf website.

I should have charged a fee for having to educate myself and spend several hours on CT draconian gun laws.

What a screwed up state they have there!

THanks again for all your help.

NIck

• Like 1