Shell Size

So, Wifey and I have decided we have to have a Saiga .410 in the house (yes, the 12 would be nice, but it's double the money and she'd more likely shoot the .410....loves her .22lr "leever" action) but I want to make sure the ammo I have, and what is available locally, will work.

So, I looked at my Golden Bear buckshot and slugs. The #4 buck is 2 3/4" and the slugs are 3", yet the unfired shells are the exact same physical length. And to make things more confusig, both the Federal and Winchester 3" birdshot I have are the exact same length as both Golden Bear loads. What gives?

I've read and re-read almost all the postings on this topic, but am still confused. Will the factory magazine feed these different types of ammunition? Or, will I have to find some 2 3/4" magazines?

I have not found any ammo that is too big to fit in the factory magazine. Some ammo is too long to fit in high capacity SMG mags. I don't know why some of the golden bear shells say 2¾", I have some golden bear that say 3" and they are the same size. 2½" shells will not feed properly in the factory magazine if it's for 3"(which I think is standard) there are factory (Russian made) 2½ magazines out there, I don't have any and have never used them.

So if you get a Saiga 410 you will be able to shoot any 3" ammo you can get locally. Golden bear is best. Winchester works also works well.

Yeah the factory mag should be able to handle any 3" 410 shell.

Ive shot Remington Express Birst Shot, Federal 000 Buck shot, Federal #4 Buck shot, Winchester 000.

Now I have the Sure Fire 10 round mag and I learned recently that the Federal #4 Buck shot 3" will not fit in that magazine. It fits in the stock magazine.

3" Federal 000 Buck shot fits in both magazine

I have yet to try PDX-1 410 shot which I will try if I can find it in 3" around my house.

• Like 1