CSSPECS 8 ROUND METAL MAG EVAL

I had a chance to get my hands on the new metal 20 gauge CSSPECS 8 round magazine recently. I had the following observations.

Of all the CSSPECS magazines I have, this one was the most refined from a finished product perspective. Well made with clean lines and neat spot welds, rounded corners and a clean smooth consistent finish. The packaging was where it should be with fish paper sealed inside of the plastic wrap and clearly marked as to application as you can see from the photos.

Loading was no harder than a factory 8 rounder and all shells went in easily every time I loaded it. I will admit the last couple were harder, and CSSPECS has suggested taking off a couple spring coils if you find it too difficult, I would prefer the stronger spring to ensure correct feeding down the road and wont be clipping it.

Inserting the mag into the gun was tight. I thought I would have to relieve some metal on the lips, but after a few seatings, it wore in. I have an EAA 20 and the tolerances may be different than the later guns.

I brought the Saiga 20 out during a skeet session with some friends and with the new metal mag in it, performed without a hitch. the Saiga was the hit of the session, no recoil, light and most could hit well with it. Several brands of 2 3/4 inch length cheap birdshot shells were tried, Federal, Remington, and the faster Winchester (the cheap Winchesters seem too light for any Saigas) heavy bird loads. All performed fine. I then switched to slugs and 00 buck, and those performed well with no issues as expected.

CSSPECS has a winner here with the new 20 mag, would love to see a 12 round or higher count as well.

Well done, where are the 12 gauge metal mags? post-16904-0-57065200-1320498781_thumb.jpgpost-16904-0-99845400-1320498855_thumb.jpg

Edited by jeepranch
  • Like 2

Seriously, where are them things. I'd for sure stock up on some metal 12 gauge mags. Especially if they were at a good affordable price and reliable, but if they are anywhere close to the 8round izzy mag price range, forget it. I'd just buy the izzy 8s. I'm hoping for a 30-40$ range. Hope to see some kindof 3-$100 deal like unita did. Otherwise i will have no interest.

Thank you. Happy to hear it was popular for the skeet session.

I keep meaning to get down to the pit with the launcher but I can't seem to find the time.

I'm kinda limited to 10 rounds with the 20 gauge for the time. My press is pretty much out of space with the 10s. I may be able to make 10s for the S-12 but I'd have to get creative with how they fasten down.

Pricing is something I'm working on. Being a lower production item does increase the unit costs, nothing I can do about that.