Loose operating rod?

Ok so these recent broken carrier thread have got me worried so after shooting some this evening with a buddy of mine I broke her down for cleaning and inspected the carrier. Well I can actually wiggle the operating rod. Are y'alls the same way? I'm thinking this is a candidate for another broken carrier assembly.

Should I have it sent off and go ahead and replace with a tom cole rod and have it bottomed out all the way so the carrier takes the full jolt instead of the thin walls where it's threaded in??? Not like these carriers are laying around for replacements sadly.

Some wiggle is normal and not cause for much concern if any.

Some wiggle, some don't... Should always be examining the op-rod/bolt carrier during field stripping anyways.

The Tom Cole op-rod is meant to replace and/or repair broken originals.

More rods broken than bolt carriers.

Good deal. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't an immediate concern. It'll bother me until it's addressed so it'll get fixed sooner or later. Shortly after posting this JT posted pretty much what you said in another thread...

I've probably had it apart more times than actual shooting sessions and thought I had remembered a little wiggle but I check for cracks religiously now. Someone needs to figure out how to source these or make new ones.

It doesn't need fixing, there is nothing wrong with it, no cause for concern... Why does it bother you?

The odds of the op-rod or bolt carrier breaking are very low.

Odds are you'll shoot the barrel out before they break.

It's designed & in the patent for it to shake. They call it "Backlash"

There was a thread on the Russian forum a while back about it.

Reminds me of the old saying with wooden rollercoaster builders; "if it don't shake, it's gonna break."

• Like 1

It's designed & in the patent for it to shake. They call it "Backlash"

There was a thread on the Russian forum a while back about it.

+100

This backlash specially made and the record about this really is in the patent.