Well I have my first saiga. It is the 223 16" synthetic. I am very impressed with the price but I can see that spending some more money (and time) will make major improvements in the rifle.

First is undoing the tragic butchering that the "ban" has done to the rifle. I realize that saiga makers wanted to be able sell the rifle in the US but I can tell that the trigger move was done with haste. The trigger and transfer arm just begs to be taken out and the fire control taken back to original location. It is a shame that this was done because I think it has made the gun more dangerous than if it had a pistol grip. The move takes the trigger farther from the safety. Also it adds more parts than are neccesary to make the rifle function. More parts equals more to go wrong. And most of all, it has prompted amature gunsmiths to do anterations. Do not take me wrong, I really really appretiate the web site that shows the alteration of the saiga back to its better form ( in fact it is needed because if people are going to do it anyway then show them the right way) but you can have a novice creating a dangerous malfunctioning rifle if caution is not used. The root problem still is that the gun had to be made OK for import.

Second is the poor design using the new "saiga only" magazines. No ramp on the feed?!?!? Relying on a plastic magazine for proper feeding should not have happened.

But I can see the potential in the rifle. I hope to take it to a level that uses its simplicity to make it a safe, reliable, accurate rifle.

but you can have a novice creating a dangerous malfunctioning rifle if caution is not used.

Well honestly I would be more worried about someone using it poorly than modifying it poorly. ;)

I see what your saying, but I don't worry to much about it, most people if they feel they are over their head will either not try it , have it done for them or buy one in original AK config. There is probably more chance of someone getting hurt trying to modify one to full auto than in a pistol grip conversion IMO.

I am not a professional gunsmith but I can't see someone doing a dangerous conversion, if you use quality parts. The parts go together only one way so you can't really mess anything up. My conversions on two different rifles have made them better in everyway. However, I do only use the best parts I can find.

I say go for it and post some cool pictures of what you build.

s won

post-8-1078688870.jpg

Here's my Mak-90. On this rifle the FCG and gas piston were replaced with Tapco parts. The laminated stockset is a US made Ironwood designs product. The gas piston was the hardest part to replace but it wasn't that difficult to do. I MIG welded the gas piston pin back in place myself.

s won

post-8-1078689540.jpg

Hi

Thats for the responses. I would hope as you do that anyone doing a modification will be smart about it. I guess my point was more that the rifle is really "rough" in some ways. A serious shooter is going do some modifications. After trying to work with the saiga trigger, a new one is definitely going in. So that means conversion!