By Arsenal, I assume you are looking at the SLR-106 and not one of their Saiga rifles?

I will say this.. if you want a military clone rifle you can do no better than buying the Arsenal. If you want a nice, durable, reliable carbine then the Saiga 223 converted is a good choice and super cheap to do. With the current deals now you can do a conversion to pistol grip and military mags and have less than $500 into the rifle, but it will not be a true mil spec rifle since it will not be threaded and will not have military front sight base or gas block.

I gave the SLR-106 a hard look but went Saiga because in the end I wanted a cheap reliable rifle. I installed a folder on it that folds to the right so I can use the scope rail with the folder(that was also a consideration with the SLR... since folding the stock requires the side mounted scope to be removed). I don't care about a bayonet lug and plan to have it threaded locally 1/2x28 so I can use standard sound suppressor mounts and not worry about baffle strikes. I also really like the feel of the factory handguard; it allows me to get a hold farther out than a military handguard and has a nice swell.

saiga-223-almost.jpg

You just have to decide what you want... like I said, real deal close as military as possible is the SLR-106. It's not worth trying to do that with a Saiga. If you want a rifle that's all about utility then you can't go wrong with the Saiga.

Decide what you'd do for modifications to the saiga to get it how you want, price out the rifle parts and shipping and then compare to the aresenal of your choice, notice the difference in the end rifle and then weigh the costs and time and decide which one is the most appealing.

I have both the converted Saiga. 223, and the SLR 106fr. The Saiga is a better performer, more accurate, and has a heavier barrel. With the Dinzag bullet guide, and Galil mags, the gun is as reliable as any AK. I love that Damn thing, and would sell the 106 first if pressed. Tu

If you are looking for a gun to shoot, buy the Saiga. If you want a gun to impress your buddies for looks, buy the SLR. Or, you could get the saiga, let your buds shoot it, and they will be impressed.

I have an Arsenal, a Saiga 7.62, 223 and the 410. Frankly, I like them all (and more) I have each set up different and enjoy the variety. I think my 223 is the most accurate of the Saiga's, the 7.62 feels like the most power and the 410, being a shotgun like AK is just plain fun to shoot. The conversion is no big deal and you will know your weapon inside out. The arsenal will cost you more and you will not have the pleasure of taking pride in the conversion and overcoming any obstacles. If price is your main consideration, go with the Saiga, if you could care less about it, and don't want to be bothered with the conversion, go with the Arsenal. If you intend to acquire another, it really doesn't matter.