???'s about S20's

I saw a used unconverted S20 at a local pawn shop today. I disassembled it; everything looked good and clean on the inside. It has 3 gas ports in the barrel. & On the outside it looks just as good as any new S20 I've owned. It includes an extra 5Rnd Mag with it too

The one thing I had questions about was the muzzle on the barrel . It didnt have any threads and the rim didnt have any finish (looks like barrel was beveled after the finished was added). Those 2 things got me wondering if the barrel use to be longer, and someone shortened it. I brought this up and we measured it (measures out to be 19"). Are S20's available with different barrel lengths? Are S20 Barrel's threaded?

Whats the going rate for a clean unmodified Saiga-20 these days?

Is $410 out the door too much, or would it be worth it?

I've never owned a S20 before (never even shot one before). I've only owned S12's. It maybe fun to play with a 20 for awhile

Edited by ItsAllCreated

Some of the early one didn't have a threaded barrel and they came in 19" and 22" and they run in the $500 range new. also it wasn't a extra mag they come factory with 2 mags one is 20X70 (23/4") and one is 20X76(3") I bought one for the wife and have been collecting mags for it and now she decides she doesn't like the 20ga instead she wants a .410 so if you get it and want some mags check out the for sale section by that time I will be willing to split it up.

• Like 1

I figured it was something like that.

I did go ahead and buy it.

I Figured a Saiga shotgun at anything under $450 was a decent deal. It shoots real nice, Almost cycles the walmart remington bulk pack on #1, and works very well on #2.

Although its a very nice S20 I can't help but feel slightly underpowered scince its not the 12. I may hold onto it or just pas it along for what I have into it... idk ...I'll have to think on it.

I've heard slightly underpowered before. Yes it has less power than a 12, but what is underpowered? I wouldn't want to be shot by one.

Not looking to start anything, just wondering what people mean by that. I've shot many shotguns, but this is the first I've ever owned. I would have liked to have had the funds for a 12 just because of the diversity and cost of parts and ammo.

As for my own feelings on power, my Glock 27 feels underpowered compared to my 33, but I would use either for self defence without question.

I've heard slightly underpowered before. Yes it has less power than a 12, but what is underpowered? I wouldn't want to be shot by one.

Not looking to start anything, just wondering what people mean by that. I've shot many shotguns, but this is the first I've ever owned. I would have liked to have had the funds for a 12 just because of the diversity and cost of parts and ammo.

As for my own feelings on power, my Glock 27 feels underpowered compared to my 33, but I would use either for self defence without question.

I don't truly think the S20 is underpowered.

I just meant less power compared to the 12

A 20ga 5/8oz slugs @ 1600fps will produce over 900lbs/inch of force @ 50yards

Thats nothing to scoff at

If you reload, the 20 gauge is actually pretty cool. I have 2 3/4" shells loaded with cast 1 1/8 ounce slugs (really need to find a rifled extension) and 1 ounce shot loads.. Carries like a 20 and hits like a 12. Sure someone will say "yeah but you can load the 12 even higher!" but there is a point where the loads are just to stout to shoot comfortably.

Remington sport load hulls seem to reload great, they are compression formed base wads, so they should last 4-5 reloads depending on the power.

If your using store bought ammo you pay dearly for special loads that only cost a few cents more to make.