Cutting the gas tube?

Hi Folks, im at the stage of cutting my gas tube back 2 inches to match the new position of the gas block. i have had a look for the best way of cutting the tube but didnt realy find much. to those who have done this before, can i remove the tube from the boss/rear sight housing and how is it attached?, if so it would be a simple cut out 2 inches and reassemble, i would not loose any of the flutes. is this the best option ? any ideas or guidance would be much appreciated. cheers tim

post-12042-0-55468600-1323488118_thumb.jpg

well i could only stare at for so long, i cut the tube near the rear sight boss, put it in the 4 jaw and turned out the remaining bit of gas tube untill it was paper thin. it peeld out fairly easily leaving 3 spot welds across the top and 1 at the bottom, they will dremmel out easily. reassembly should be no problem, i dont think i will bother spot welding the tube back in as its captive once the gas block is on.

I don't think it will work, pretty sure the flutes are going to interfere with the bolt carrier. I'm doing the same thing on mine, I'm going to cut the front, heat it up and use a socket to round the flutes out. Seen several posts on various forums about doing it that way.

I don't think it will work, pretty sure the flutes are going to interfere with the bolt carrier. I'm doing the same thing on mine, I'm going to cut the front, heat it up and use a socket to round the flutes out. Seen several posts on various forums about doing it that way.

You may look at Harbor Freight and find an inexpensive swaging set. I don't know the gas tube I.D. though.

• 2 weeks later...