What's a good crown to use for 7.62x54r

Starting a new project w/ a 7.62x54r heavy barrel on a Mosin. Long story short, these so called heavy Mosin barrels are going to take a shit ton of work. Looking for solid suggestions for a good crown degree to use with the 54r round. (and that's going to be the least of the b.s. most likely). Barrel length is going to end up in the 22"-23" range shooting heavy ball.

Edited by 6500rpm

Yeah, I've heard it would have been easier if they'd left them unthreaded, as they never come anywhere close to indexing correctly... I'm just staying away from those things, nifty as they look. If it's possible to make one into a heavy barrel for a PSL (obviously with a shit ton of custom work), I might want one eventually.

I don't know what kind of crown would be appropriate. Planning on running a can?

Edited by Shandlanos

Well, that FMsniper build used an 11 degree crown for his barrel, but it was a Lothar Walther. Here's the details;

http://www.rocksolidind.com/media/wysiwyg/home/New_M39.pdf

With all the work that he did on it (replacing the barrel, trigger, stock, drilling and tapping the receiver and modifying the bolt) there's really no reason for him to have butchered an M39 for the receiver and "jam proof" Finnish magazine. Good luck with the heavy barrel project! I'm actually looking to cut back one of the pencil thin barreled receivers to about 19" and scout that bitch up.

• Like 1

I'm not familiar with this "jam proof" Finnish magazine. I have an M39, which I've barely fired. I've only ever had a mag jam once on any of my other Mosins, and it was readily cleared by dropping the floorplate. Can you enlighten me?

Receiver due in today, so we'll see how things time out. Hind site being 20/20, buying a generic 91/30 and a Remington 700 .308 heavy barrel blank or take off would have probably been a better option but at this point "brakes are out, no point in steering now"......

I'm not familiar with this "jam proof" Finnish magazine. I have an M39, which I've barely fired. I've only ever had a mag jam once on any of my other Mosins, and it was readily cleared by dropping the floorplate. Can you enlighten me?

The Finns took the original magazine and dimpled the body near middle rib. Using that simple mod, it causes the cartridges to become properly aligned; preventing one round from "jumping forward" and causing rim jam. If you've ever managed that with your Mosin, you know you've got to unscrew the magazine assembly and partially disassemble the rifle in order to clear the jam. Though it's only 2 screws, its still a pain in the ass to have to deal with while at the range (or in the Finns case- in a firefight). I've never had a Mosin lock up from rim jam while loading by hand, but I'll admit that when using stripper clips, I've gotten a bit overzealous and managed to force a round down.

Look for the dimples in the upper portion of the magazine body and a stamped "“HV” on the side of the magazine. It's supposed to be an abreviation of the a term that loosely means jam free.

Top is regular mag, the bottom has been Finned.

2830maghousingHVcomparison.JPG