Hi folks, im in new zealand and im interested in buying a norinco uzi from the US.

it is possible for me to import a US made firearm with the usual state department approval and contracting a ffl with an export licence. i recently heard that chinese manifactured firearms were banned from export(and import) from the US, is this true?

unfortunatly i cant get a permit to import(from nz police)for a century or other US made uzi as we are not allowed folding stocks,sadly the wooden thumbhole stock on the norinco is what makes our govt happy.

so bottom line, can chinese guns be exported?post-12042-0-15584800-1324884425_thumb.jpg

over here in nz there are a few norinco uzis that a big gun shop has managed to bring in. and check out the serious gouging on the price! on special at $6000 down from $12000. only drug dealers can afford their prices. as you folks will know they sell for about $750 usd on gun broker. i want to beat these bastards and get one in at a fair price

We do exporting. I highly suggest that if you can legally own in New Zealand, you would be better off finding a source for it out of the United States because the strict US State Department Requirements. Since you are not a United States resident and the gun is not made in the United States, you would save a fortune finding it outside of the United States.

It might be easier to import one directly from China.

The US does have a ban of sorts in place on the importation of firearms (except some sporting shotguns) from China, but I've never heard of re-exportation being any more of a hassle with Chinese arms.

Is the NZ bureaucracy just picky about folding stocks, or does the pistol grip get their collective panties in a knot as well? There are also fixed wooden stocks available for the Uzi that are not thumbhole-style. It would be easy enough to install one of these on any other full-sized Uzi carbine in place of the folding stock. Or, an Uzi carbine with a folding stock could be spot-welded permanently open, if that passes muster with NZ governmental types.

It might be easier to import one directly from China.

The US does have a ban of sorts in place on the importation of firearms (except some sporting shotguns) from China, but I've never heard of re-exportation being any more of a hassle with Chinese arms.

Is the NZ bureaucracy just picky about folding stocks, or does the pistol grip get their collective panties in a knot as well? There are also fixed wooden stocks available for the Uzi that are not thumbhole-style. It would be easy enough to install one of these on any other full-sized Uzi carbine in place of the folding stock. Or, an Uzi carbine with a folding stock could be spot-welded permanently open, if that passes muster with NZ governmental types.

the pistol grip is just one of the naughty parts over here, you can have one with a special licence( the guns are classified as E catagory and can have pistol grips, big mags and flash hiders and folding stocks) but you cant import one unless you hand in a complete "E" catagory firearm for destruction and there are only around 5000 in country and priced accordingly , the police dont want any more so its one in the crusher if you want to bring one in.

We do exporting. I highly suggest that if you can legally own in New Zealand, you would be better off finding a source for it out of the United States because the strict US State Department Requirements. Since you are not a United States resident and the gun is not made in the United States, you would save a fortune finding it outside of the United States.

good advice! any ideas on a reliable dealer outside the US that could supply one?(i emailed norinco china but they didnt reply, i guess you have to buy a shipping container full to get their attention)i have also looked into canada but they are on a banned import list over there so that turned into a dead end.

i may just have to put my hand in my pocket and pay the extra fees and import one from you folks? another option is to get a US made one fitted with the nasty wooden thumbhole stock from a norinco to keep the nz police happy.

You might want to communicate further with MAA - they should be able to give you a handle on the total exportation costs.

I found a little information on the differences between Israeli semi-auto Uzis and those produced by Norinco: http://files.uzitalk...ges/norinco.htm

Could be a bit of a pain getting ahold of the Chinese bracket and thumbhole stock to install on another rifle. Looks like it may require two holes to be drilled into the bottom of the receiver, in order to install the bracket for the thumbhole stock.

I hate to be discouraging, but it may be very difficult to find what you're looking for without paying through the nose, one way or the other. You may be left with a choice between being gouged by your countrymen, or by a foreign government (the US state department and our lovely ITAR fees). I'd still have to guess your total costs are going to be well under $6k, unless the NZ govvy wants another big pile of money for the permit to import.

Hmmm... Do you think the following idea would pass muster as a thumbhole stock?

-Folding stock, permanently welded open

-A piece of steel, either bar stock or sheet metal, securely welded to both the bottom of the buttplate on the stock, and the bottom of the rear of the pistol grip, linking them together permanently.

This might interfere with disassembly. You could certainly still remove the dust cover, and thus reach the bolt to remove it - however, I am not familiar enough with the construction of the Uzi to be certain you could still remove the grip/FCG assembly.

On a related note, what is the magazine capacity limit with this sort of firearm?

Edited by Shandlanos

Im building a picture on how hard this is going to be so thanks for all the advice!

sadly the police do not allow an existing pistol grip/stock combination to be linked by a piece of metal to make a crude thumbhole stock(although they do exist here but over the years rules have changed and been more strictly enforced so anything coming across the border has to comply with todays standards), and yes we do have a magazine restriction on regular semi autos(called A catagory)its 7 rounds, you cant even have a big mag blocked to 7 rounds, it must be cut down so it also visually appears to hold only 7 rounds.i would be able to source uzi mags in country as there are a few about .

i will contact MAA and find out about the fees required for export and if indeed a chinese firearm can be exported. another problem i face is police inspection on landing in nz, if a new model of firearm is imported it must be inspected by the police armourers. in the past norinco uzis have had this done and some are in circulation already so they can not turn down your application for import. if for example a century uzi was to be imported , that model even though it is essentially the same as a norinco would have to go in for inspection and approval, police policy is different than law and im sure it would be turned down for some minor reason as they are not keen on anything semi automatic and if it looks like an uzi it will scare them even more .

i will do some thinking on this problem,people have got norinco uzis in before so it must be possible to do it again?