I have a Savage Stevens 200 in .308. Buying a Boyds stock for it. That much I got figured out. My question is on optics. Right now the only rang available is 100yds. And I have a budget of $200. This has new mounts and rings figured in... been polling at the Nikon prostaff, vortex crossfire and several Burris Scopes, but they all seem to be reviewed about the same. I know u all have opinions, lets hear em(just not about my budget). Thanks in advance.

Personally I'd get the Nikon as I've heard a lot more about their scopes and I haven't ever heard anyone dealing with issues from them or their scopes. But i'm sure there are people here who know a lot more than me that probably think different, so good luck, I don't think you could go really wrong with any of the three.

Vortex Scopes & Red Dot Sights.

I cannot say enough good about Vortex, I have several of their optics now.

They are on par with Optics twice their going prices, their Customer Service is beyond compare, and their No Questions Asked 100% Unconditional/Transferable Warranty is the shitz!

Their entry level lines are Crossfire & Diamondback, excellent quality budget glass.

I'd say skip the Crossfire as it is bare bones entry level, and step up to the Diamondbacks, http://swfa.com/Vortex-Diamondback-Rifle-Scopes-C1409.aspx

One that I have is a Vortex Viper 2-7x32, that I picked up on a Discontinuation Sale for under $200.

Normally the Vipers run $400-500, their optical quality is easily comparable to scopes costing $800-1000.

I put this on my S.308-ver.21 and I'm good to go out to 500 yards... Great glass!

Ok thanks guys for the feedback... gonna go withe the vortex, gonna have to wait for the tax return but that's cool all the ranges around here are closed in the winter anyways. I think having the good glass will him my shooting a bit. I'm using a cheap centerpoint right now that my girl bought me. On low power its very crisp but once I get it up to about 6x I can't see shit.

Ok well I think I found my scope, found a 6-24x 50mm vortex crossfire for $100. Sucks to have to be cheap, but I don't have tons of cash (and my s223 still needs an ace stock and a red dot or tech sights as well). Chile thanks for your response I know vortex has a great reputation and I was already leaning toward them.

If ranges are closed for the winter you should have waited and saved up for a better scope.

how good of a scope is really necessary for shooting 100 yards with a light barrel rifle? If I were shooting out to 800 then it'd be a different story. I'm not taking it hunting anytime soon or fast roping out a of black hawk with it, nor do I plan on swimming across long island sound with it strapped on my back. Plus if I buy an expensive scope my girl will be on my case about how I can buy a 1000 dollar optic but not an engagement ring. LOL. Someday when I have money to dump into a rifle that can splatter a squirrel from 5280 feet away I might just do that. I just think of it as a tacticool sniper death rifle. For making holes. In paper. At a short range.

Just to make your head hurt for a minute, the police snipers don't take shots from over 100 yards. It's only the crazy folks in the military that 'have' to take shots at over 300.

Sorry, I don't consider it sporting to take a shot at game over 300 yards, unless you're at one edge of the meadow and the venison is at the other edge of the meadow. You take the shot and get up and start closing in immediately so you don't lose your dinner! I know it takes a lot of skill to take shots at 600 yards, but I'm not sure it's reasonable to take shots on game at 600 if you can avoid it.

Doesn't hurt because I do know that. I just don't have the need for extreme ruggedness or clarity similar to that of the Hubble telescope. I'm just punching paper at 100 yards. I would never take a shot at an animal I wasn't positive I would hit and kill humanely. I just wanted some opinions on what a decent scope in the 200 dollar range was. Not that i should save and buy something better. I could do that. But I don't see a need to, based on my needs.

Edited by 86camaro
  • Like 1

I wound up ordering a Bushnell trophy xlt. 4-12x40. $150 and then a$30 mail in rebate. They seem to have great reviews across the board. So well see how it does. Gonna buy a 22wmr it 17hmr rifle soon so it it doesn't cut it on the 308 I upgrade and move it down the line.

Some of the vortex line is good. The crossfire line is cheap made in china shit. If you get a Vortex get a viper or better, thats what they got their good reputation from, NOT the crossfire line, two entirely different animals.

For cheap solid options are- bushy 3200 10x mil/mil. SS10x, SS16x, SS20x, weaver vseries. sightron sl and sll's.

Watever u do DONT BUY A SCOPE MADE IN CHINA.