Two crown questions 7.62x39 16"

I have a flash hider on and my barrel threaded, no plunger pin, just a crush washer, and a little bit of locktite. After every trip or two to the range I take it off, clean the FH, the crown, and threads. Then put it back on with a little drop of locktite blue.

Question1: Since there is a gap between the crown and FH where gunk collects, How often does it need cleaned?? Will not cleaning in there for a while create any problems??

My rifle will hold 2.5 - 3" groups at 100yds with russian ammo, which isnt bad. So I wouldnt think there is any damage to the crown, just saying.

Question2: Would recrowning my barrel make it any more accurate?? I would look into it if I could lessen my group by 1/2 - 1". Or is it a waste of time on this caliber and barrel length??

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Im not sure if no ones tried, so they dont know. Or if wouldnt make a difference at all. Im sure if the crown was damaged Id know it, and I doubt that it is. But I always look into options on making it more accurate, shooter options included. If you hear anything one way or another, let me know.

I'd thought about recrowning my .308, but I don't know if standard HSS tools will get through the chrome plating of the bore. The old gunsmith trick of using a bit of lapping compound on a brass machine screw in a drill chuck might be good for a touch-up.

to question # 2 If it ain't broke, it can't be fixed...

... however, it can be improved, Big questions are;

are you a good enough of a shooter to realize a 1/4 minute improvement? (unless its damaged most likely less)

are you confident in your ability to take on the task?

can you get a hold of the necessary tooling?

to question #1 me personally cleaning my stuff is just a part of shooting, and enjoy it almost as much, but I am not an operator nor an other professional.

if i were shooting corrosive (more me, not worth the trouble) than i would scrub down VERY well.

Edited by markdavidson

to question # 2 If it ain't broke, it can't be fixed...

... however, it can be improved, Big questions are;

are you a good enough of a shooter to realize a 1/4 minute improvement? (unless its damaged most likely less)

are you confident in your ability to take on the task?

can you get a hold of the necessary tooling?

to question #1 me personally cleaning my stuff is just a part of shooting, and enjoy it almost as much, but I am not an operator nor an other professional.

if i were shooting corrosive (more me, not worth the trouble) than i would scrub down VERY well.

The necessary tooling is the whole thing, It shoots 2.5-3" groups with russian ammo, so getting those tools would seem to be a waste of resources. Maybe someday doing a touch up with a brass lapping ball, lapping compound and my hand drill isnt out of the question. And no, there is no way Id be able to tell a 1/4 moa improvement.

Im no pro or operator either, and I like cleaning my rifle as well. My muzzle gets a good bit of baked on carbon from being under that FH, but every time I brush it off, it looks like new underneath. I wasnt sure how long it would take to cause a problem, with pitting on the muzzle or crown. But I tend to forget about the chrome.