Saiga to Arsenal SGL 31 conversion question

Here in about a month I'm buying a Saiga 5.45 and 2160 rounds from AIM. I'm planning on converting it into a Arsenal SGL 31 copy. My question is this- aside from the black poly furniture I'll probably get from KVAR what else is needed and work to be done? I searched the forum for SGL 31 and got this -One or all of your search keywords were below 3 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords. So I guess my question is what other parts do I need and briefly hit on the work required. Im sure this has been posted before on here and a link to that would be just fine and greatly appreciated.

oh and I forgot to mention I want the Tapco G2 trigger. Basically it'll have the black poly furniture, 74 brake, cleaning rod. It definitely has to have a bayo lug to as well. So again what will I have to buy/do to achieve this. I know its noobish but I am a noob to gunsmithing.

Edited by buddykermit

I'd go with a Tapco G2 single hook trigger. I have the Arsenal SGL 31-84 and don't like the 2-stage Arsenal trigger. The G2s are much more crisp and light. To get an actual SGL 31-61 "look", you need

- K-Var furniture (pistol grip, handguards, stock) - $90

- Bulgarian AK-74 front sight block and gas block - $70

- Bulgarian AK-74 handguard retainer - $15

- Bulgarian AK-74 gas tube - $20

- Bulgarian AK-74 1000 meter rear sight - $15

- Bulgarian AK-74 trigger guard (dimpled mag catch) - $20

- K-Var Russian style AK-74 muzzle brake (bulgarian muzzle brake is a bit different) - $60

- Bullet Guide - $20

If you're doing this yourself, you need a shop press ($120), some riveting tools (no idea $$), jigs for the trigger guard and barrel parts ??$$$, welding equipment $??? (to plug up the old holes - 6 total). You need to paint it too.

This is as exact as I would make it. If you're going to do this, might as well just buy an Arsenal SGL 31 because it's going to cost about the same if not more (if you buy the parts separately), plus add your labor and tools.

The good thing about converting the Saiga is that you do not have to make it "look" like something it's not. Do the basic pistol grip conversion (spend about $100 total on parts) and add the other parts as you go along. You may decide to accessorize later and add rails and such.

i have 1000 extra dollars give or take to spend here in a month so i was planning on getting a safe for 450 the saiga for 350 and 2160 rounds for 285. i have a draco (currently in the evidence room) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NkB6lAOyZo thats a vid from the local news 5-21-11 about a man breaking into my house stealing 3 of my guns and then shooting at the police hence the need for a safe. anyway i have that draco about tac-t-cooled as you can (look at my picture) and i think i like the more traditional and authentic looks now. so thats why i wanted to make the clone instead and i figured id get the rifle now and do the conversion later and id have the rifle and alot of ammo in the meantime. i wanted to get a wasr 10-63 and get the romanian donkey dong on it and romanian side folder which i may still do but i was intrigued on how much cheaper the ammo is for the 74. id rather have 1 caliber for my battle rifles 7.62x39 but then again id like a shit load of ammo too lol

Edited by buddykermit

I am doing the same type of conversion right now. I own a fabrication shop, so all holes are welded and removed and the entire front end is being converted as referenced above. When I'm done, I'll have right at $700 in the set up, so there is little if any cost savings doing it yourself. I took it on as a fun project to do. Once I began pressing off the FSB and GB, I realized the "fun" part was not so "fun" ... and I have all the proper equipment and tools on hand. If you don't have all the proper equipment, then personally, I'd just buy the Arsenal and be done with it.