High Capacity Mags

Hello

This is my first post and I am already asking for info, lol.

I recently purchased sporterized saiga in 5.45x39.

I am looking for a high/higher capacity mags as I am planning on converting my rifle.

Also, please include the information if I need a bullet guide installed or not for the particular magazine.

I'd rather stick with no bullet option if there is one.

Thank You

Michael

Although some report that a bullet guide isn't absolutely necessary in a 5.45, I needed one in my rifle as it would feed an entire mag just fine till the last round then it would jam. Installed a bullet guide and no more problems. The polymer Bulgarian Circle 10 and 21 mags are good, and I recently picked up a couple of steel 5.45 mags which have been flawless. Tapco's have worked well for me also (haven't broke one yet) but they don't have the metal re-inforcement that the Bulgarian poly mags do at the latch points on the mag. I also have a couple of East German 5.45 bakelite mags that appear to have maybe been modified to work with 5.56/.223 rounds (have .223 etched on base plate of mag) that function just fine.

Edited by TJohn

Do you have the source? website maybe? Thanks

For Tapco's try here: http://store.carolin...5x39/Categories.

For Bulgarian mags you might look at K-Var ( http://www.k-var.com...ome.php?cat=418 ) and Atlantic Firearms ( http://www.atlanticf...ategory145.aspx ), or Copes Distributing ( http://www.copesdist...g.net/index.php ), all are vendors here. There are other sources as well, you might have to look around a little to find any in stock or at the price point you want as they are a little scarce and pricey right now as apparently the next shipment hasn't came in yet. The steel mags were purchased local as there is a shop in a nearby town that has a good selection of rifles and surplus mags.

Edited by TJohn

Bullet guides aren't hard to install if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. Ask me how I know, lol. Use oil on the tap and go slow, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time till you feel resistence on the tap, then back off and turn again. Carolina Shooters and Dinzig have the bullet guide kits which include a good drill bit and tap along with the bullet guide and machine screw, or you can just make your own.

So you are saying, that if I install a bullet guide, I can use any standard Ak 74 mag?

Yes, that has been my experience and remember just be mindful of 922r compliance and your local and state laws, if you intend to use mags with capacities over 10 rounds. You usually dont have to mess with the mag catch on the 5.45 rifles like you do on the 7.62 and .223 versions to get the mag to fit. The 5.45 mags should pop right in. Like I said earlier mine feed all but the last round fine, so I needed the bullet guide for 100% reliable feeding.

Bullet guides aren't hard to install if you take your time and pay attention to what you are doing. Ask me how I know, lol. Use oil on the tap and go slow, maybe 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time till you feel resistence on the tap, then back off and turn again. Carolina Shooters and Dinzig have the bullet guide kits which include a good drill bit and tap along with the bullet guide and machine screw, or you can just make your own.

So you are saying, that if I install a bullet guide, I can use any standard Ak 74 mag?

Yes, that has been my experience and remember just be mindful of 922r compliance and your local and state laws, if you intend to use mags with capacities over 10 rounds. You usually dont have to mess with the mag catch on the 5.45 rifles like you do on the 7.62 and .223 versions to get the mag to fit. The 5.45 mags should pop right in. Like I said earlier mine feed all but the last round fine, so I needed the bullet guide for 100% reliable feeding.

If he doesn't take off the monte carlo stock, or puts on a dragunov style stock with the grip integrated he doesn't have to worry about 922r because he technically doesn't have an assault weapon. The law defines assault weapons as having a conspicuous pistol grip extending from beneath the rifle. With the two stocks I have mentioned, 922r does not apply.

If he doesn't take off the monte carlo stock, or puts on a dragunov style stock with the grip integrated he doesn't have to worry about 922r because he technically doesn't have an assault weapon. The law defines assault weapons as having a conspicuous pistol grip extending from beneath the rifle. With the two stocks I have mentioned, 922r does not apply.

Not true, an uniportable cofiguration basically must comply with 922r. As soon as you add a 30 round mag, 922r applies.

"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes"

Edited by bigj480

Not true, an uniportable cofiguration basically must comply with 922r. As soon as you add a 30 round mag, 922r applies.

"It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes"

By putting in your 10 round mag, it becomes a sporting rifle. It is readily adaptable for sporting purposes because you can easily put in the 10 round mag.

By putting in your 10 round mag, it becomes a sporting rifle. It is readily adaptable for sporting purposes because you can easily put in the 10 round mag.

The original poster was talking about using something greater than 10 rounds, so that would trigger 922.

One takes their risks and pays their price. You are trying to use logic when discussing the interpretation the ATF uses, there is little logic to be found. All I can tell you is that they disagree and will not let guns with 30 round mags be imported. Therefore, 30 round mags trigger 922r.