I seriously doubt the manufacturer's that claim their shit is "mil-spec", even have a copy of the military specification(s) that apply to their product.

This should be a real concern to everyone, because unlike a military issued weapon there is no accountability on whether their procedures meet the requirements of the MilSpec. Before we ship our products we have to do a "first article" where 10% of a monthly production is run and all units undergo 100% check to conformance with MilSpec and drawings on critical elements; we have to provide certification on materials; all the gages and equipment used to check must have records of calibration; we have to provide certification that subcontracted components were manufactured at facilities that have particular ASTM certification and or meet other industry standard. Without a government customer, I doubt a company that makes those claims would actually go through the hassle of putting all those ducks in a row. I think if you buy from a company that manufactures for the military or uses subcomponents manufactured by a company with a government contract... when they make the claim I believe. Otherwise, I'm skeptical.

All that is a different issue than the semantics of military issued versus MilSpec.

That’s part of the point people seem to miss is MilSpec is not the highest standard of quality that someone could hope to achieve it’s a minimum standard. Some how the gun buying public accepts this marketing tool as being the best thing out there.

Colt only claims MilSpec on military M4s not their law enforcement weapons.

Completely agree. In a few instances where the MilSpec was written in the 70's or 80's and the MilSpec is simply old, I've been forced to use materials and platings that by todays standard are so outdated we struggled to find anyone who still supplies them or processes parts the particular way. I once had to look into sourcing a leaded aluminum alloy that no ones made since the 70's... in the 70's there were 30 different companies that made this alloy... in 2010 there's only one and they only produce it because there's some company in eastern Europe out there producing replacement parts for vintage Russian cars. We jumped thru hoops to get a sign off on a variance to go with a more easily sourced material.

While I understand some of your point it comes down to it’s either MilSpec or it’s not, similar to is not the standard to be met. For one thing they didn’t pass an inspection / audit by the governing body.

Seems like the manufactures’ should state something like “we use the same materials, heat treat, and dimensional tolerance standards as the applicable MilSpec”. Guess it’s just too hard to make that sound hardcore and sexy in an ad.

What you're saying just boils down to whether a companies assertion of "MilSpec" is accurate or not. I completely agree its very easy for them to shortcut the standard, at which point they don't live upto it and have no right to claim it. In a few instances, there are companies that have government contracts or are subcontractors to primary government contractors and their parts live up to MilSpec. For example, many companies buy their forged recievers from the same people who produce them for Colt, even at that minimally cut level it conforms to a majority of requirements of the MilSpec and they mostly just have to get the proper surface treatments done. I think one of the biggest deviation from MilSpec is the picatinny rails which as a completely cut and finished piece has it own MilSpec which calls for different dimensional tolerances based on materials, means of manufacture, and surface finishing; I've seen some on the market that have too much give for something that is as tightly controlled dimensionally.

I think the Firearms industry is one of the few industries I know of that hasn't gotten together written and codified some sort of classification of industry standards; where specific grades are designated with specific nomenclature.

Edited by Mythos

I seriously doubt the manufacturer's that claim their shit is "mil-spec", even have a copy of the military specification(s) that apply to their product.

Boy would I like to have been a fly on the wall knowing some of the things you've probably seen in the industry. Sadly, I know it's almost surely based on trueth. Keep your standards high032.gif