"Full" Conversion Questions and Concerns

Trying to get some clarity on some issues to do a full conversion on a 223. Pros, please help!

Basic conversion is done but want to step it up a notch. So here is what I am confused about.

1. Press off FSB and GB and add proper HG retainer.

Q1: If I were to order a Russian HG retainer from, lets say K-Var can the locking lever be removed so I can file the notch in the barrel and then replaced? It looks like they have peening to hold it in. Seems wasteful but should I grab 2?

Q2: What are folks doing about the holes created by drilling the dimples on the GB to press off? Is there replacements available or is this something that should be welded up?

2. Install proper trigger guard and mag catch i.e. rivet using press and jig

Q3: A virgin TG seems like there is no hole for mag catch. What complexity is involved to get proper geometry and re-use my mag catch? Process?

Q4: Will the Arsenal 74 TG work or is a there a source for a combo mag catch/TG that would be a better choice.

Q5: Can I re-use the safety stop?

3. Filling left over holes.

Q6: Is TIG the best option or do others advocate rivets (NOT DOING NYLON PLUGS)

Thanks in Advance

1. Press off FSB and GB and add proper HG retainer.

Q1: If I were to order a Russian HG retainer from, lets say K-Var can the locking lever be removed so I can file the notch in the barrel and then replaced? It looks like they have peening to hold it in. Seems wasteful but should I grab 2?

A1: actually leads to more questions... Yours has the handguard slots but not a proper notch to lock it in? personaly I would figure out where it wants to sit and notch it myself, why do you need to cut up a retainer?

Q2: What are folks doing about the holes created by drilling the dimples on the GB to press off? Is there replacements available or is this something that should be welded up?

A2: you can use a bulgarian 90 degree gas block. I wasn't aware of this at the time I did mine, so I welded the whole thing solid on the barrel in place.

2. Install proper trigger guard and mag catch i.e. rivet using press and jig

Q3: A virgin TG seems like there is no hole for mag catch. What complexity is involved to get proper geometry and re-use my mag catch? Process?

A3: you can measure it out and transfer measurements, or try lining them up and marking the new one through the hole on the old one.

Q4: Will the Arsenal 74 TG work or is a there a source for a combo mag catch/TG that would be a better choice.

A5: I got mine from Copes. http://www.copesdistributing.net/47akm-complete-unissued-trigger-guard-p-1918.html

Q5: Can I re-use the safety stop?

A5: Yes. I did.

3. Filling left over holes.

Q6: Is TIG the best option or do others advocate rivets (NOT DOING NYLON PLUGS)

A6: Tig is the best option, but you can use MIG. Use a piece of aluminum, brass or copper as a backer and heat sink, and its pretty brainless work really.

Thanks Nailbomb. That is correct, I have the slots but no notch. I Just figured the only way to identify the correct location for the locking lever notch would be to install HG retainer with lower HG in place. I don't think it will slip on to get a tight fit with the lever intact and no notch for it to fall into.

Good info, cheers!