Fired the S223 for the first time

There is NO recoil on these things!

But I'm having the same problem as my S308 post conversion, the trigger doesn't reset.

Why isn't it re setting?!

Also, I think I want some kid of CQB scope. Sorta like a red dot, but with crosshairs.

My buddy had one on his AR and it looked like an ACOG. An it was perfect but I forgot to ask what it was.

Im lookin for it to be cheapish and hold a zero pretty good. Any ideas?

Recoil is even less with a proper muzzle brake; practically like a .22 mag.

Your trigger problems are probably due to not installing the disconnector or disconnector spring when installing the Tapco FCG - I assume you converted it since you were asking conversion questions in the past.

Which FCG are you using? Are you using all-matching FCG parts?

Some people have trouble using original Saiga hammer with other FCGs, for example. Mine works fine, but the possibility exists that the FCG may not operate correctly if using non-matching parts, up to and including the disconnector not catching the hammer because the hammer is not being pushed down far enough, for example.

If not using a matching FCG, this would be the first thing to change - install all matching parts.

Also I know that some people have had trouble with the disconnector not catching the hammer due to the hammer hitting the nut used to secure one of the popular bolt-on trigger guards. This would limit the hammer's travel and cause the hammer to bottom out on the face of this nut before it has the chance to catch the disconnector. You can manipulate the hammer by hand and see if this is happening. If it is, you'll have to file down the nut/bolt.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Most likely a trigger guard screw too high and fouling the action. But also check that the hammer spring is sitting solidly on the trigger legs. Sometimes it slips to the side or gets up on the BHO (if you have one). You can bend the spring more inboard for a more positive hold.

Still I think it's a high TG screw.... not that I have any personal experience with it.... :)

later

rich

I'm pushing down the hammer and I can't tell for sure but I don't think it is hitting the TG screw. But I can't see it.

The springs seem to be holding good, I don't know if there is a way of testing it without firing but the trigger seems to be pretty quick dry firing.

First of all... I think I have an answer to your red dot question: The one that Looks like an acog but is a red dot w/crosshairs is a bushnell. Sightmark makes one that is similar (probably in the same factory in china).

Anyway... back to the reset issue:

You can take everything out but the hammer and see if there is any interference with a screw,net, etc. I reused mySaiga stock triggerguard and the screw I used was long enough to foul the reset. Used a shorter screw and thinner nut just to be sure. All is OK now. Also, you can take out the hammer and look for rub marks where it might be hitting.

From what I saw on mine, if the screw/nut sticks up more than 1/8" or so, it can be a problem.

As for the spring, you can hand cycle it with the top cover off and see if the spring moves or ride up the BHO. Cycle the action with your finger on and off the trigger and see if there is any difference. The spring should stay put and just go up and down on the trigger legs.

good luck... let us know how you make out...

later

rich

I'll second that motion.... recoil is negligable. I only notice what little there is when I rest it on the bench..

I put a 74 brake on mine just for looks and for the sound. I can only imagine what a 5.45 is like with the brake and all....

Any word on the reset thing?

later

rich

The trigger reset issue pops up from time to time. Causes can range from hammer spring hooks falling off the trigger to burrs on the disconnector hook.

That Bushnell Trophy MP is pretty tall for a Saiga. It's not bad, but it is probably intended for ARs.