SGM 100rd Beta Mag

Hey Folks,

I just thought I would share a little review about the SGM 100 Beta Mag specific for the Saiga 223 (one is also available for ARs). I picked up one from Cope's Distributing back around Christmas when they ran them on sale for $100 (I think they are $169 now). These are Korean made mags and will come stamped as "M16/M4 Drum." SGM has simply taken the drum for the M4 platform and put a Saiga 223 tower on it. You've probably seen the package, but it comes with a nice case, graphite bottle lube and 5 round loader. I looked the internet over to see if anyone had experience with them, but didn't find much, so here's my assessment in hopes that it might help folks looking into one (no pics, we all know what Beta mags look like:)

Pros:

1. To date, no ftf or fte. This is with a couple of fill ups on the mag.

2. Mine required no modifications to lock in. It's lock up is tight with no wobble.

3. Maintenance is easy with the graphite lube and if one needed to tear the mag down it is easy to do.

4. The loader works.

5. A full drum does shift the balance of the rifle, but not nearly as badly as I thought it would.

Cons:

1. The mag has a couple of followers that will get stripped if the bolt isn't slightly filed down on one edge. I have opted to simply not run the mag to the bottom.

Time will tell how the mag holds up, but so far, so good! I personally wanted the mag because one, I think drums are just cool and two, I wanted something to help be fire from prone without a long mag inteferring. This drum accomplishes everything I wanted from it.

Here's another guy's review from Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvZLNRE_EtQ

Here's a guy dumping the drum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpF2yrID8-M

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

It is cool Joebanks! I got a chance the last Saturday of January to put it through its paces at a multigun competition. Functioned flawlessly and accomplished exactly what I wanted it to do when shooting prone. Below are some pics- the first target is standing, unsupported @100 yards (best 5), the second is prone at 200 yards (5 best, got 6 alphas). Since it was the last course, I got to keep the targets. Laid the drum on my left forearm and went to town with my iron sights!

I did find one issue with the drum though- you really have to baby any brass rounds when loading it with the loader or the rounds will get crushed. Not caring one iota about that and unable to reload due to the "Saiga Kiss/Dent", I ran Tulammo 55gr FMJ. I'm happybig_smile.gif

025.jpg

024.jpg

Can it be modified to run in a saiga with a bullet guide installed?

I don't know. The drum is just your regular M4 drum with a SGM tower attached to it. I would think if regular SGM mags could be modified to run with a bullet guide, the tower of the drum could as well. I just don't have much experience to say one way or another- maybe somebody will chime in with an answer.

• 4 weeks later...

"Can it be modified to run in a saiga with a bullet guide installed?"

This is a question I'd love to get an answer to.

I've been eyeballing them, but, can't pull my BG since it's permanently installed.