well I went to the aircraft graveyard today, took some pictures. posted a bunch of them in the gallery section. I tell ya, I have been to a lot of aircraft museums, and this one is the best by FAR. Ive never seen one where you can walk up and touch the stuff. totally recommend it if anyone passes through the tucson area. it was quite impressive. I have a TON more pictures, but I thought id save the space and post some of the better stuff.

heres the link if any of you guys are into that sort of thing:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=mo..._album&album=33

enjoy

oh yeh, forgot to mention this........all of the photos I took there are not for commercial use, as per the sign out front of the museum. you will need to contact the PIMA AIR AND SPACE MUSEUM if you wish to use them for commercial purposes.

Awsome Pictures. I've always loved airplanes. I even sighned up for Spartan Acadamy one time. I was going to work on elctronic instruments, but things didn't work out. I even tried joining the military before I graduated high school, but no one would take me because I have Asthma.

Cool pix. I was lucky enough to get to walk through the fuselage, and cockpit of the EnolaGay, at the smithsonian's suitland MD facility. It was in pieces for the restoration, and it was the one day a year when they have an open house, if you can ever make it, it is an incredibale experiance! Biplanes, WWII fighters, space capsules-anything coud be there in varios stages of dissasembly or repair.

G O B

well I went to the aircraft graveyard today, took some pictures. posted a bunch of them in the gallery section. I tell ya, I have been to a lot of aircraft museums, and this one is the best by FAR. Ive never seen one where you can walk up and touch the stuff. totally recommend it if anyone passes through the tucson area. it was quite impressive. I have a TON more pictures, but I thought id save the space and post some of the better stuff.

heres the link if any of you guys are into that sort of thing:

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=mo..._album&album=33

enjoy

Bvamp

Sounds like you had a good time.I saw this site awhile ago and thought you might like to see it, if you haven't already. I've never been there but looking at your post and this link,it must be incredible.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp...cson%2c+Arizona

Zoom out/in and pan the picture. How many planes can you count?

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp...=644&Y=4446&W=3

You can't fit them all on 1 page.

Edited by acetomatoco

well i have plenty more pictures of that place. they told me there were 6000 planes there at the moment abouts.......I will say this, all the stuff I saw wasnt new. I KNOW there is new stuff there, and in fact, they showed us where the B1 spare parts were........in 100 acres next to the 100 acres of b2 parts....

I was floored at the graveyard. I was even more impressed that at the museum, almost all the aircraft there had historical significance individually (such as the f4 from vietnam that was flown by the ace and marked as such, missed a pic of that one), but what was even more impressionable to me was that you can touch all the aircraft and walk around them freely. you cant even do that at a confederate airforce airshow. when was the last time you stuck your head in the intake of a mig or climbed into the bomb bay of a b29 at a MUSEUM?

if you are out here, its a must see. I might go back and see the titan missle graveyard before I leave.

actually, looking at that satellite footage, most of the b52s in that picture are gone....either back in service since the end of the cold war, or chopped. if you go north west a page, you get into the area where I have pictures of most of those aircraft. I can recognise some of them as the same in pictures I have.

you can see in this link:

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.asp...569&Y=17797&W=3

on the left, big white and huge, is the super guppy, which is now in the museum. across fromthat, there are only 3 b52's now, and 5 or 6 b1's. missing is the delta force transport airliner across from where the guppy is in that photo, and if you go to the right of the b52's there, that whole section of what looks to me like f4's is now elsewhere. across from the f4's in that photo, it looks very close to what is still there. if you look and see the wide wingspan thing, its actually a canberra bomber that was modified to have extremely high altitude capabilities, and that is still there. the hawkeye is across from where that one is.

from the looks of that image, and from what the tour guide was saying, i would say that sat image is at least ten years old, before the soviet union fell. Im going through my pictures now and trying to label everything from the map of the museum and from memory, just so *I* know what the hell im looking at. Ill post more if people are interested. like I said, it is one hell of a place.