Galil Magazine reproduction at CCS

The Tapco magazines seem to be more likely to work on a greater range of .223 Saigas (with BG), as they sit slightly higher than real Galil mags, but as noted are defiitely not as tough as surplus magazines. Good buy for what they are though. I will probably pick some up eventually to beat on.

Edited by mancat

I have several, and find them to be the most reliable .223 mags I have tried to date. I have NOT YET tried the East German or Bulgy, but have several Galil IMI steel.

The steel mags are tough as nails, but some can be finnicky. Many require tweeking,and a few just won't seem to work regardless.

The Tapcos compare well in toughness to other composite mags and to, for example, AR aluminum mags. A member of another forum I follow took some Tapco 7.62x39 20 and 30 rounders and ran over them with his truck several times and they still functioned great. The flexibility is actually an advantage in this kind of torture test. Again comparing to AR mags, the springs seem to be pretty strong and the followers well designed, no tilting and smooth cycle.

Some of the Tapco Galil mags worked w/o modification on my rifle prior to installing a Renegadebuck AR mag adapter, but som required a quick and easy mod. Steel mags all needed mods to work. An unexpected benefit of removing enough material at the bottom of the front trunnion for the AR adapter to function was that my rifle now works with both Tapco and IMI steel Galil mags w/o any mods.

Reliability is 100% for me. I can only infer their worst-case scenario toughness from K-var's own test video, which looks pretty valid. Otherwise, they are solid magazines that operate smoothly and fit the bill for almost any purpose. I would point out they are a bugger to fit in mag pouches.

Given my budget and needs then for indoor use and a truck gun I'll go for CCS faux Galil mags then. I've got my first payment down on layaway for a .223 Saiga. I'm going to piece meal my mods on a monthly basis. I have a bench drill press with a 1/2 inch chuck from the good old days so most of the conversion work won't be a problem. The temptation is to order too much stuff and have to live on rice and beans. I like rice and beans but the gas is self damaging -5.unhappy.gif

Sigh, now I'll have to investigate a way to carry a couple, perhaps a mag pouch meant for Magpul AR mags would have the room?

Thanks for input on this.big_smile.gifred_heart.gif