Hey folks. I'm carefully considering my options before I drop some considerable bank and I'd like some community input. I'm going to be removing my side rail mount and installing a TWS rail to reduce weight. It's only a little, I know, but I'm picky. The use of this rifle (barring the ever-looming SHTF scenario) is going to be primarily range practice (100yrds max) with a decent chance of some white tail hunting a couple of times a year. I think a good Russian rifle deserves good Russian optics and I've narrowed my search to the following:

PK-AS-W Red Dot / Black Dot ($350)

Rakurs-PM German Post 1x ($400)

POSP 2-6x24mm ($280)

The POSP wins on price but the length (343mm) concerns me. I want to be able to field strip using the TWS without taking the scope off. The others are appealing for weight but they are very expensive. I'd really like to hear from people who have experience with these specific optics but advice and additional suggestions from anyone are welcome. By the way, these prices come from Kalinka. If you've got a cheaper source, share the love.

Thanks all.

... If you don't care about magnification, the best way to go (weight wise) is an ultimak with an aimpoint micro. No, it's not Russian, but it allows you to use your irons if your optic goes down- Edit: can't get more Russian than the irons!

The PK-AS can be a bitch to sight in, it's heavy, and it's battery time is roughly 50 hours. It's 15.9 oz./1 lbs.

Aimpoint micro- 50,000 hours battery life. 3.7 oz./.225 lbs.

If you don't really care about magnification and want weight reduction, go aimpoint with the ultimak. If you want magnification, go POSP.

Edited by Salmonking

+1 on what salmonking said. Especially the price of aimpoint micro coming down significantly (2moa is due out soon). Cannot go wrong with aimpoints battery life, ov weight and relability. You can get 1/4 cowitness with TWS or 1/3 with ultimak. You can see russians using aimpoint optics on internet photos. You don't have to stay loyal to russians :)

The PK-AS-W also looks like a very tall red dot, I would pass on that setup. As far as the forward mounted red dot, I really don't have much experience with that. The only thing I can see that affecting is the field of view, the smaller the FOV the more important you ee location is, so you would want a good cheek-weld. If you ever find yourself lacking a good cheek-weld you may not find the dot, yet some people mount the small Aimpoint micros up there and like them well enough. I like the side mount that hold 30mm red dots, such as the Aimpoint, it also puts the red dot nice and low. I have heard that they are not super light and seem rather crude but do the job well.

http://kalinkaoptics.com/mounts/ak-vepr-saiga-romak-1-2-slr/pk-01v-aimpoint-to-ak-saiga-vepr-centered-side-mount-w-heavy-duty-30-mm-ring-special-limited-edition-v-3-3.html

There is a US mad mount that accomplishes the same thing but it is adjustable to center up on the gun, I don't care for that as it's just one more thing to go wrong and I think the Russian mount will be centered or close enough. If you want to keep the TWS rail I recommend you don't use their rear sight and instead do something like this:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_7_123/920056_.html

One last thing you might want to look into is the Vortex SPARC. I say that because it gets great reviews and comes with several mounts for only $200. You could pay $500+ for an Aimpoint micro and then still have to buy a mount but I'm not sure the Aimpoint is much better, if any. The only downside is the small lens size (FOV).

Got a PK-AS sitting on a shelf in my garage, barely used. The dot quit working, and there's no place to send it for repair. The reason the Russian optics are so cheap is because of lack of post-sales service. Spend a little more and buy an optic from a US manufacturer with a service department.