Today I acquired an old Western Field Mossberg 500 from a friend of mine for 50 bucks (was going to use it as parts for another project, but figured I would keep it as a cheap SHTF weapon for 50 bucks). After getting it home and trying to hand cycle it, I noticed all of the shells tried to jump out of the mag tube one after another. I replaced the shell stop and interrupter and I still get the same results.

Anyone care to throw out some ideas as to what might be causing it?

You might have a bent (I call them fingers) finger.

Mine did something like that and had a bent finger.

I did get lucky and bent it back.

Mine did it when I pulled the forarm back.

so they wont stay in the mag? have you gutted it to get it cleaned up? get some pics if you can. it would help a lot. pics of the inside of it. with no ammo in the tube. then try to load one and get one of it as well. sounds like the shell stop may be in backwards. dont know how it would go back together, but ive seen people do it.

I cleaned everything and yes, it's assembled properly. I was looking a little closer at the interrupter and comparing it to pics online, it's an older type of interrupter and a little piece of it that the bolt slide engages appears to have been sheered off. Looking for the correct replacement part. But now I'm wondering if most other standard Moss 500 internals will work properly in it. Found all of them pretty cheap online but don't want to end up with a box of spare parts that I don't need.

Different style interrupter.

New style (like the one you posted):

54220.jpg

Old style (like the one in this old Moss):

1175790.jpg

The piece towards the left end of this pic^ is what seems to be slightly sheered off as it goes inward..

I need to find out if I can just replace all of the internals with new parts and have it function properly.

Edited by KC913

It's a mossberg...I would'nt trust my life to one if it was the last one on earth. Probably would cost more to fix it than it is actually worth. Mossberg makes throw away guns. That's all they will ever be.

Edited by Comblocaddict

Well a standard Mossberg 500 is roughly $200.00 cheaper than most competition and any Moss 500 I have ever used or owned has functioned fine. This is a 40 year old Mossberg and the issue was a single worn out internal part. So... $200 gun (cheaper than that 40 years ago)... ~40 years of use... needs a single $8.00 part replaced. Tell me again why it's junk? happy.png

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying it is the best shotgun ever made, by any means. But for a cheap reliable bedside 12 gauge pump on a budget, you can't beat a Mossberg 500.

• Like 3

It's a mossberg...I would'nt trust my life to one if it was the last one on earth. Probably would cost more to fix it than it is actually worth. Mossberg mages throw away guns. That's all they will ever be.

You mad because Remington has poor QC? HUH YOU MAD?
  • Like 4

It's a mossberg...I would'nt trust my life to one if it was the last one on earth. Probably would cost more to fix it than it is actually worth. Mossberg mages throw away guns. That's all they will ever be.

Browning what?

Browning what?

You still mad? Do i need to call the wambulance?

dis15741_wambulance.jpg

• Like 4

Comparing a $200.00 Mossberg 500 to a Browning (model?) is apples vs oranges. Might as well say a converted and tuned Saiga 12 is better than a Mossberg 500 while you're at it, since you seem to just be stating the obvious.

Edit to add: who the fuck asked you anyway? lol This isn't a "my shotgun is better than yours" thread.

Edited by KC913
  • Like 6

Browning what?

You still mad? Do i need to call the wambulance?

dis15741_wambulance.jpg

No, but obviously some one else is. ^^^^^015.gif

Say what? US Military issue has been mossbergs for a long time. They just recently started going to the $1500 benelli bullshit. I swear, Izmash would make a killing if they opened a factory here...

• Like 3

It's a mossberg...I would'nt trust my life to one if it was the last one on earth. Probably would cost more to fix it than it is actually worth. Mossberg makes throw away guns. That's all they will ever be.

if you hate them then thats fine. but at least have a legitimate reason as to why you hate them, as its obvious you know nothing of the platform. they are actually one of the finest pump action shotguns on the market in terms of reliability and durability and are actually underpriced for the end product.

if you hate them then thats fine. but at least have a legitimate reason as to why you hate them, as its obvious you know nothing of the platform. they are actually one of the finest pump action shotguns on the market in terms of reliability and durability and are actually underpriced for the end product.

First off I never said I hated mossberg. I said I would'nt trust one. Secondly, to say a mossberg is one of the finest pump guns on the market is hilarious. Very little research proves that.

You would have almost thought I insulted a glock. Gee lol.

First off I never said I hated mossberg. I said I would'nt trust one. Secondly, to say a mossberg is one of the finest pump guns on the market is hilarious. Very little research proves that.

You would have almost thought I insulted a glock. Gee lol.

then thats on you

• 2 weeks later...