Rifled range report

Firearm

Saiga 12, Cobra choke adatper, Browing rifled choke tube.

Sight

Picked up a UAG "CQB" red/green 4 retical reflex.

Range

Went out the back yard and tested this and my rifled choke.

Ammo

(RELOAD)

Winchester 2 3/4 hulls, WAA12 wads, 19.5 grains Alliant Green Dot powder,

CCA209m primers, 1oz slug I make.

30 yards we shot a 3" group.

Ammo

Centurion round ball

2 3/4 hull, 1400 FPS, 1 x .650 lead ball

30 yards we shot a 3" group

The last time I shot the round ball and my slugs groups were bad, 6" plus at 25 yards.

All in all I am happy with how my S12 shot, Yea the sight is a cheep one but did well.

The adatper and rifled tube is what made the diffrence in groups.

I would recommend a Cogra adatper, and rifled choke tube to shoot the Centurion round ball.

Pics of targets? Not saying i dont believe ya but it makes the thread that much more credible.

No more room then 30yds to play on? Any plans of trying 'off the shelf' slugs (Sluggers, Super X)?

Edited by Mullet Man

Pics of targets? Not saying i dont believe ya but it makes the thread that much more credible.

No more room then 30yds to play on? Any plans of trying 'off the shelf' slugs (Sluggers, Super X)?

I like to use sheet metal as a target. I save paper for the range.

I get "targets" from work, free!!!

That is 25 rounds, 10 round ball and 15 slug.

Target is 14" x 16"

Did take a few to get the sight right. I am very happy with the out come.

We shot 5 rounds each, myself and my son, taking turns.

1st 2 (5rounders)mags we went slow and took carefull aim.

The last few we jut tried to keep on target shooting as fast as we could.

We can take a 100 yard shots but this was the first time out with new choke.

No I wont be buying any off the shelf loads, well not yet any way.

I can make slugs and reload my own that work well.

Guess this would be better in the OP, sorry.

• Like 1

I picked up a Lyman 525 (big pellet) mold, and have been working on getting 4-5 inch at 100 with a smooth bore. It can be done, but the recipe is something that you will only get pieces of from other reloaders. Right now I can pop milk jugs all day at 50 yards with them. With a rifled barrel some guys are shooting clover leaves at 100 yards shooting the Lyman slug.

It is good to see your group got better with the screw on rifled chokes. I have been wondering about those things, and if they are worth the money.

Btw, good luch with that red dot. I have one on a .22 pistol and it is good, but on a glock .357sig it didnt last a whole mag before the glass flew out and the red dot went black.

Edited by xacex

It is good to see your group got better with the screw on rifled chokes. I have been wondering about those things, and if they are worth the money.

Btw, good luch with that red dot. I have one on a .22 pistol and it is good, but on a glock .357sig it didnt last a whole mag before the glass flew out and the red dot went black.

The rifled choke was $40.00, picked it up on Ebay, and I think it is worth the money.

I might have payed to much for it, I am sure someone will find one at a better price.

I have never used a reflex sight before, (yea at 50 I still had that cherry)

so I picked up a cheap($35.00) one to get a feel for how it worked.

Found it easy to use and it did not get in the way, easy to pick up the 2nd and 3rd shot, faster than iron sights.

After I find a "better" reflex I will be getting one. No I wont be buying a $300.00 ECO for my shotgun.

I dont blame ya for not wanting to plunk down 350$ for a reflex. The tube style seems to be better built in the elcheap-o catigory from what I have tried. I put a 42mm red dot I had that was built by BSA I think, and it has survived just fine. Ugly as sin, but it keeps working. I am slowly upgrading my glass, and red-dot sights as time goes on. Luepold has there factory near me, and I know a few cats that work there that can get me the "family" price.

I think I may pick up one of those rifled chokes and give it a try myself, thanks!

Damn avatar is making me miss work!

Edited by xacex