First post, jumpin in head first.

Hello to all, this is my first post here but hope to be an active member. Lots of good stuff here. I have an S12 that was converted by Semperfisupply, of which did a fantastic job. Had the bolt contact surfaces polished as well. Smooth as butta! Now I am ready for my next Saiga, only this will be converted by me! I have watched many video's and I know this is something I can handle. I have been wanting a 16" 308 version for some time now. I am looking for advise, do's/dont's, and recomended parts. Its looks like Tapco has the market cornered as for as FCG's go. I know there are others, but are they better? Also read something about safety issues with the 308's ??

Hello to all, this is my first post here but hope to be an active member. Lots of good stuff here. I have an S12 that was converted by Semperfisupply, of which did a fantastic job. Had the bolt contact surfaces polished as well. Smooth as butta! Now I am ready for my next Saiga, only this will be converted by me! I have watched many video's and I know this is something I can handle. I have been wanting a 16" 308 version for some time now. I am looking for advise, do's/dont's, and recomended parts. Its looks like Tapco has the market cornered as for as FCG's go. I know there are others, but are they better? Also read something about safety issues with the 308's ??

The.308 is the easiest to convert (my first), but toughest to get mags and "some" for other parts for. Once you remove the plate under the receiver, the trigger group holes should be there (This is unique among .308 Saiga's - apparently) The barrel and muzzle are thicker than most AK's and will lend itself to either a 5/8-24" or a 17mm threading on the muzzle. You'll have to remove the FSB and measure to see which you have. Dinzag is an awesome resource for removing the nose cap on the FSB, boring the FSB to slid back on the barrel to fit a muzzle device, and supplis for threading the muzzle, re-crowning the muzzle, adding an AK handguard and just an all around great guy.

Mags are mostly CCSPEC (steel and great) or the guys who are making the FMBG clones or Surefires. Most run around $35 - $45 ea.

If you have a specific question, I am more than happy to help. Did a .308 in 04 first, before the others.

The safety issue with the .308 is that the factory safety will allow the trigger to move enough to disengage the sear from the hammer when the safety is on. If this happens, then the rifle will fire as soon as the safety is switched off. Some people get around this by building up the tab on the safety lever with a bead of welding filler. Another way to fix it is with a standard AK safety selector.

The safety issue with the .308 is that the factory safety will allow the trigger to move enough to disengage the sear from the hammer when the safety is on. If this happens, then the rifle will fire as soon as the safety is switched off. Some people get around this by building up the tab on the safety lever with a bead of welding filler. Another way to fix it is with a standard AK safety selector.

Apparently there are rather wide "manufacturing tolerances" on these things though. My 308 safety works fine with no modifications. I think I've heard a few others say that too.

I modified the safety on the .308 conversion I did not because it would not work, but because the FCG retaining plate would be extremely difficult to install if I did not.

Just be sure you do a proper weapon function test, and go from there.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm glad you included the part about the FSB and the barrel threading. That's one I forgot to ask. Thanks macbeau. As far as the safety issue, sounds like its not to big a deal to fix, I just hope I am as lucky as TacticoolTim was and don't have to mess with it. I guess there is no way to test this before the conversion? As I have not found a rifle for sale yet. Everyone seems to be sold out anger.gif .

Again thanks for all the reply's