Barrel length?

Yes, I think it would be more accurate.

I base this only on the fact that the sight radius would be longer. It would also help that the muzzle velocity would be higher, which is important when considering bullet drop at longer ranges. Overall, I'd say the sight radius would be the biggest difference though....

That almost makes me wonder about putting a "bloop tube" on the end of my 16" S223. Use a Williams aperture rear sight, and a Lyman globe type front sight.... Who am I kidding? This rifle only cost $269 in the first place! Either way, it would be interesting to see what it could do.

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In early 2005 SAIGA 223's in both barrel lengths were both available from EAA for $189 up to $229 -dlr. cost $159-$179. I tried both of them and found 16 was slightly more accurate (1 3/4" to 2 1/2" ) than the 20 (2" to 3")at 100 yard range I had available to perform the test at. Benchrest, scope and XM193 were used and both tested on the same day. There was a discussion of the barrel harmonics being an issue with the longer 223 barrel causing less accuracy - this is the opposite result of the Saiga 7.62x39 barrel length vs accuracy test.