Aim surplus had a "dark bore special" sale a while back and the yugo 59/66's were $79 and the one that was sent to me was a brand new unissued unshot sks with dark bore (blued). The bluing was 100% and the wood was 99.99% perfect its one of the best ones i have ever seen. It was better than the like "new ones" i recieved from them. It pays to watch for sales/specials at AIM surplus.

I also took a chance with the very first yugo 59's as ufixem's from Century a few years back too. They had broken safety levers. I also thought the bores were corroded too but it turned out to be either plastic or rubber stuck to the bores from shooting rubber or plastic bullets. After letting them soak with G.I. Rifle Bore cleaner the bores came out perfect. These were $79 each also but they were used in the last war so their pieces of real history.

Nice deal, any deals like that on Mausers?! Im in the market for one.

Ive read somewhere that chrome lined barrels were put in place mainly because of corrosive ammo, with todays non-corrosive stuff, they are not needed as much. I also read that a bare or blued barrel will shoot more acurately because it lacks the minor imperfections that are caused by chrome lining a barrel.

Im probably wrong, I usually am. I just thought Id share that little bit that I read somewhere.

Nice deal on your SKS man! Thats weird about the rubber bullets :sadam:

The Yugo SKS is a good deal, Dunham's have them on sale for $99 and AIM has shooter grade SKS rifles for $79 on special. Prepare to clean the cosmoline for about two hours.

You can get directions fron Surplus Rifle which has instructions on disassembly: http://www.surplusrifle.com/sks/index.asp

Make sure you clean the gas port and the bolt so the firing pin floats in the bolt. Failure to clean the bolt may result in hangfire (full auto firing). Failure to clean the gas port will cause the cosmoline to harden and carbonize which will be harder to clean. I used brake cleaner and WD-40 to clean mine, others use oven cleaner or bake the rifle at 150 degrees to melt the cosmoline. I tried a degreasing cleaner line Formula 409 on some parts which had cosmoline and it worked well but make sure you oil the weapon after using water based cleaners. The shooter grade from AIM Surplus that I got has finish wear but works nicely. The only problems I had when first firing it was failure to feed because I did NOT re install the magazine properly, after that it functioned perfectly. It also makes a good companion rifle since you use the same ammo as the AK or Saiga.

Im going to take a wild guess and say that the stock was cut to look like an RPK and the pistol grip bolted on. Looks kinda cool though, I love the background. Thanks for the pics!

I cut the standard stock to look more Fal/RPK-ish.

The PG is plastic (actually off a toy gun that was hot glue filled)...then, it was fixed to the FCG housing using metal stock -the housing being drilled & tapped.

lollygagger

What did you have to do to get the fixed 20 round mag to work. Mine keeps jamming. :cryss:

I had to do major tweaking to get it to function reliably. It was hardy worth the effort put in, but I really, really wanted one to work.

I've got some ideas & shot some pics during the process. Maybe I'll get around to a post sometime to explain what...it's involved.

Edited by lollygagger