Quiet Muzzle Device?

Quiet from the perspective of the shooter-

So many brakes and flash suppressors tend to direct some of the blast back toward the shooter and it is not fun to shoot when not wearing noise protection in/on the ears. When driving around the place and I see something that likes to eat goats and sheep, I am not going to start digging around looking for ear plugs :) I am going to shoot while I have the chance.

My priorities are first keeping the noise aimed away from me, then protecting the crown of the barrel, followed by flash suppression. Muzzle braking comes in last.

Most of the discussion I see relates to the effectiveness of either flash suppression, or keeping the muzzle online. I have not seen any test comparisons that show the db level at the shooter's position with a given load.

Thanks

I did an informal test on some AK devices:

My sound level meter was not really up to the task, but it sort of reflected the impression I got of the noise.

I did another test on AR muzzle devices and found the DPMS Levang linear compensator to be pretty painless. It's only for .223 rifles, but the Troy Claymore brake appears to be of the same basic design.

"Four-piece" devices like the Noveske KX3 or surplus and reproduction four-piece brakes are also pretty well reputed to keep the blast away from the shooter. I don't have any experience with them though and don't know if they're as good on standard length barrels as short ones.

Dr. T, that was a nice test. :) Thanks for providing the link. The Levang is hard to beat. I have seen some comparisons for the 6.8 AR and it was only a tenth of a db louder than the target crowned barrel alone. Surprisingly, to me, the old standby A2 was only a tenth higher than the Levang.

Hutch, I went out of my way to carefully word my comments so someone would not tell me that I did not know the difference between a suppressor and conventional devices...but, I cannot deny that a tax stamp and a suppressor would resolve my problems. When the hogs cover the 15 miles between my ranch and their current vicinity, I suspect I will be making the investment :)

Hutch, I went out of my way to carefully word my comments so someone would not tell me that I did not know the difference between a suppressor and conventional devices...but, I cannot deny that a tax stamp and a suppressor would resolve my problems. When the hogs cover the 15 miles between my ranch and their current vicinity, I suspect I will be making the investment smile.png

unfortunately for us, that is not a legal hunting method in texas as of yet. i am hoping they change it because i would love to do that for hog hunting also. We are so overrun with them at our lease, a good trap will be our next investment.

depending on your threading. bulgarian 4 piece or booster cone might work the best for directing it forward.

239011_LG.jpgaksu83-11.JPG

Edited by GregM1

Texas has a law up now to allow suppressors in hunting-a proposed law. Far as I know, hogs not being a game animal, suppressors are legal on your own property at least. I know that game ranches use them for their own hunts. Saw the game warden at lunch, I would have asked him if I had thought about it. Probably see him again this week.

Edited by Strawdawg

okay, appears to be legal along with night vision on anything not defined as a game animal in Texas.

page 55 of the 2011-2012 outdoor annual states

"Game Animals and game birds ---

firearms equipped with silencers or sound suppressing devices are NOT LEGAL"

a few lines down though, it says,

"Nongame Animals (Non-Protected) Any lawful firearm may be used. "

I didn't know that had been changed. I guess I will confirm with TPWD and the I will be looking into getting a suppressor soon also. awesome.

Wow it is amazing the damage a hog (or bunch of hogs) do to a ranch/farmers field! So bad that the gov't is Oking the use of non traditional hunting methods.

Sorry to see this infestation is as bad as it is.

Makes me want to go to/move to Texas for the feeding.....lol!

Dr. T, that was a nice test. :) Thanks for providing the link. The Levang is hard to beat. I have seen some comparisons for the 6.8 AR and it was only a tenth of a db louder than the target crowned barrel alone. Surprisingly, to me, the old standby A2 was only a tenth higher than the Levang.

Hutch, I went out of my way to carefully word my comments so someone would not tell me that I did not know the difference between a suppressor and conventional devices...but, I cannot deny that a tax stamp and a suppressor would resolve my problems. When the hogs cover the 15 miles between my ranch and their current vicinity, I suspect I will be making the investment :)

I know you did. I was just teasing :)

Eta: hog hunting seems like a blast and I absolutely have to try it sometime. We dont have the pleasure of that species in Maine...but we have plenty of coyotes!

Edited by hutchsaiga

Dr. T, that was a nice test. smile.png Thanks for providing the link. The Levang is hard to beat. I have seen some comparisons for the 6.8 AR and it was only a tenth of a db louder than the target crowned barrel alone. Surprisingly, to me, the old standby A2 was only a tenth higher than the Levang.

Hutch, I went out of my way to carefully word my comments so someone would not tell me that I did not know the difference between a suppressor and conventional devices...but, I cannot deny that a tax stamp and a suppressor would resolve my problems. When the hogs cover the 15 miles between my ranch and their current vicinity, I suspect I will be making the investment smile.png

I know you did. I was just teasing smile.png

Eta: hog hunting seems like a blast and I absolutely have to try it sometime. We dont have the pleasure of that species in Maine...but we have plenty of coyotes!

I started laughing when I saw your comment. Actually, my original thought was that I needed to bite bullet and pay for the stamp :)

I see hogs are in N.H. now from a report so they are getting closer to you. They are also in some Canadian provinces. One day, cockroaches and hogs will inherit the earth and my money is on the hogs as the ultimate survivor. People that have no experience with them often refuse to understand the damage that they can do, nor that they happily kill smaller animals and eat meat.

People that have no experience with them often refuse to understand the damage that they can do, nor that they happily kill smaller animals and eat meat.

i have seen some hunting video, in which, they capture footage of a approx 300 lb. hog squashing a 50 lb. hog underneath it. it continued for a bit before it was just completely on top causing suffocation of the little one. then it began to eat it. i had already heard they were cannibalistic but was very interesting to see it happen.

unfortunately for us, that is not a legal hunting method in texas as of yet. i am hoping they change it because i would love to do that for hog hunting also. We are so overrun with them at our lease, a good trap will be our next investment.

depending on your threading. bulgarian 4 piece or booster cone might work the best for directing it forward.

As I read the TSRA blurbs, supressors are legal for varmit hunting (hogs, etc.) but not game (deer), though a biil goes up this session to change that. With the thrust in Europe towards hunting use of supressors as a hearing protective, might just come to pass.