Nice to see someone doing a serious precision rifle in 5.7x28mm. Always thought it would be great for varmints.

I have a feeling if these folks made Saiga mags they'd cost a bit.

Now this is NICE. 45 Win Mag in M1 Carbine magazine. Baeutiful. And not bad for deer.

Mauser45WM.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3

They are local (DFW). I have seen one of the r22s at a gun shop up the road and it looks to be quality work. The 5.7x28 would be a neat little varmint cartridge. I can not wait to see the finished product. A rifle that uses the p90 magazine will be cool by any definition.

Edited by Bigfoot Wallace

I can get a bare Yugo Mauser action cheap, but I am kind of worried about the Dremeling that will need to be done to the reviever as well as the headspacing. I imagine that having someone else do this would be rather expencive. The barrels are short chambered so can you remove the extra material by hand or do you need special equipment? I am probably worrying too much. Anyone do one of these???

Tools you need:

Barrel Vice

Action Wrench

Chamber Reamer

Set of Headspace Gauges (Go and No-Go)

There shouldn't be any dremeling required.

It should be as simple as cleaning up the threads, putting the barrel in a vise (you can improvise, but should probably get a more experienced/less intoxicated oppinion), using a wrench (see first caution) to screw the action onto the barrel (be sure to get it tight and lined up properly, a set of witness marks made with inexpensive punches should to the trick), and putting the chamber reamer (improvisation VERBOTEN!!!) in the chamber, closing the bolt as far as it will go, opening it and turning the reamer a little bit at a time, stopping often to check if the bolt closes. Right before the bolt is able to close completely, check head-space with the Go Gauge, if it still doesn't close put the reamer back in and turn it a bit more. Repeat, repeat, repeat.

This isn't a trial and error thing, so much as it's a try a little at a time until it works, thing.

As far as the magazines go... I don't remember off the top of my head what is required to install the adapter, but it shouldn't be that bad. I'm sure the company that sells the product can answer questions on that.

Beware: if you buy head-space gauges and a chamber reamer for this caliber, you're going to want more guns chambered for it. Buying the head-space gauges and a chamber reamer (rental is a possibility for the reamer, there are a number of websites that offer this service), will probably be cheaper than taking it to a gunsmith. Check anyway though. Shop around.

The only other thing I'll say about it is that there's a sense of pride in building a gun that can't be matched by buying it ready-made, or having someone else do it. Bottom line: assess your needs, assess your means/ability, choose form among the options according to your needs, means, and ability.

Edited: for content

Edited by Tokageko
  • 1 month later...
That 5.7x28 upper is awesome!

ar57prototype2.jpg

Whoah... SWEETNESS!!! Looks like it would be an AWESOME varmint gun, especially for handloaders who could use the lower power in a cycling semi-auto with their choice of bullets. It's 0.224", right?

Out of buisness?! Really?! WTF happened?

Why? I dunno. What happened? They stiffed many other major distributors.

HiPoint is making a Carbine in 45ACP.  They say it should be out by Jan 06.

The same way the Saiga 100s were going to be out in fall 2002. The Hi Point 45 carbine has been promised at least as long, always next season. The 40 took forever.