Yet another 922r question - sorry!

Hey guys:

I hate to sound naive, but I bought my Saiga .223 a couple of weeks ago being totally ignorant of all this 922r business. I simply assumed it is legal in its factory condition (or else it couldn't be imported) until you start modifying it to be more like an authentic AK-47.

As I said in my previous post, I do not want to modify my Saiga .223 except for the addition of a tactical scope and scope mount. However, I logically bought this rifle so I could enjoy using 30-round magazines at the gun range. Every man deserves a "Rambo" moment once in a while. :-) Plus, it simply looks cooler with a 30-rd mag. I have an image to maintain!

I get the impression though if I use a 30-round mag., I'll suddenly be out of 922r compliance. If I install a TAPCO gas piston would I then be ok? The piston counts as one 922r part and the mag counts as three 922r parts. That's four parts and would take me down to 10 imported parts. If I use my 10-rd. magazine, I'd simply put the Saiga gas piston back in.

Am I correct? Chances are I'd have no problems at the range, but I'd rather be safe than sorry. I've never heard of this 922r stuff and I don't want to ever go to jail for some stupid reason due to honest ignorance.

Seems stupid I'm ok as long as I use the 10-round magazine, but if I put in a Surefire 30-round mag. (without doing any modifications) I'm suddenly not legal?

Thank you!

It's an involved process to change a gas piston on a rifle. Just convert the gun if you want to use high caps. You have to be ignorant or in some kind of crazy ban area to not want to convert a saiga. The only valid reason not to convert would be financial. You could buy a US made handguard, but changing the piston would be foolish.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but the trigger group would be the best possible upgrade if you would like to maintain the stock saiga look. Granted, the work would be a little bit more extensive than the hanguard, but you would keep the stock look, meet 922r nazi requirements, AND have a to-die-for trigger pull. My Tapco trigger group is so smooth you don't even feel the break, and I absolutely love it. That, however, is just my opinion. Orrrr you could convert it and join the dark side :)

Edited by Zombies-Bane