TAPCO Handguard Modification

A few of the members suggested to remove the front portion of the handguard that gives it the "hot dog bun". I started looking at it and peer pressure kicked in, so I broke out a few tools and got to work.

DSC09999.jpg

DSC09997.jpg

DSC09994.jpg

After a bit of hacking, filing, and polishing I think it came out nice. The gas plug is much easier to manipulate as well as depressing the detent pin.

I think it looks pretty slick cut back!

Here's the before picture

DSC09983.jpg

Edited by HansenACR
  • Like 2

You will like being able to hit the detente with your finger. It makes every gas plug tool free.

And yes it does look better to me, but I have short arms, and short rest of me too. It's just that much less plastic to swing around. The only downside is if you want to mount a light or laser forward of your hand, I find I want that to sit with the button flush with the back edge of the gas-block. As manufactured, there was just enough plastic to support a rail there. Now it would only be half supported.

Thanks for the feedback GunFun. If I do mount anything on the side rail it would be a small Surefire.

On a side note, I took it to the range yesterday to test fire Federal bulk after doing the gas block and port enlargement/cleanup mods. One of the ports was almost completely blocked by a metal burr from factory drilling and another was only partially exposed.I used a 5/56 drill to clean up the ports. On setting 1, I had a single FTE with a box of 20. On setting 2, I fired the remaining 75 shells without any malfunctions. Shells were ejected about 4 feet away and to the front. I percieve this as a success because I'm not overgassing on setting 1. I need to put some loctite on the rail mount screws because 1 of the screws actually fell out during firing.

These guns are such a blast when they're working correctly. Just became my favorite weapon!