Bullet guide help!

I am new to Saiga conversions and anything gunsmithing related in general. I am in the process of converting a 7.62x39 model and last night I started the process of the bullet guide.

I lined everything up right and had a perfect center punch right where I needed to drill. I thought everything went fine...until I put my bullet guide back to check where the hole had been placed. There must have been some movement because my hole is not centered where it should be. I am past the point of no return and would like to know what options I have.

post-40407-0-75042000-1330444365_thumb.jpg

So that is the damage done. I thought about dremeling part of the bullet guide about 1mm back to clear the hole and try screwing it in off centered...but any advice would be tremendously helpful...Just tell me I haven't screwed the pooch!

At some point you need to tap the threads

No big deal, you have lots of options:1 If the screw head is large enough, you can take off some material and slightly enlarge the hole on the guide, and tap, that should work- 2 You can weld the guide on 3 you can dry weld with JB weld, although I would not go that route. 4 you can't screw, until you tap, and I would not screw off center, because the screw will not sit correctly 5 you always have the option, if you have to, of using a slightly larger tap and screw to accomodate the enlarged hole on the guide, but you might not need to.

Looks like it is close enough for government work! Tap the threads and tighten the screw. If it doesn't seat 'just so', red locktite the screw in tight and a day later dremmel the head smooth. The hole is off toward the trunnion, so the BG will be wedged in nicely. If the hole was off the other way it would have been FUBAR.

Looks like it is close enough for government work! Tap the threads and tighten the screw. If it doesn't seat 'just so', red locktite the screw in tight and a day later dremmel the head smooth. The hole is off toward the trunnion, so the BG will be wedged in nicely. If the hole was off the other way it would have been FUBAR.

It's good to know I made the "right" mistake. Ha