Saiga 12 questions

So, a few questions, cuz I just acquired a S-12 today and am a bit new to it.

I remember handling a S-20 one time and the sight was different than the S-12. It was like a rail of some sort, instead of the plain old iron sights I got on my S-12. Whats up with that?

Where can I find an elevated sight for my Saiga-12? I can't seem to find them on any site. If someone has one they're willing to sell me, ya know, I'd give you American currency for it :dollar:

And speaking of things that go on the end of the barrel, would it be possible-because my barrel isn't threaded- to thread my barrel to the appropriate measurements so that I could use a choke on it? I believe one of you guys said it it was M22x0.75-6g. That one UK site said the same.

SO last question would be, IF I could get my barrel threaded to accept threaded chokes, where could I get ahold of a choke or two? Or three :chris:

Thanks

Edited by Maniac Jack

I agree that you should convert the gun, but if you decided against it for any reason, another option would be wait and buy domestic mags which also replace 3 foriegn parts. Don't know how the 922r law could be applied if you had a foriegn mag in your house. In fact, I'm not sure 922r has ever been enforced as anything other than a "tack on" charge.

But to be safe you could send your factory mags to me for safe keeping ....

So, thanks for the info. I haven't really delved very deep into any of the modification tutorials yet. Just a quick few questions, what kind of tools will I need, will I need to refinish the gun afterward, and do I need any experience in gunsmithing? Thanks.

So, thanks for the info.  I haven't really delved very deep into any of the modification tutorials yet.  Just a quick few questions, what kind of tools will I need, will I need to refinish the gun afterward, and do I need any experience in gunsmithing?  Thanks.

Ideally you would like to have a drill press and some good quality drill bits and or a mill. Most of us dont have that. You will might want to have some basic hand tools screwdrivers, hammers, punches, and ect. I have done both of my conversions using a dremel and cutting wheels. Just grind off the rivet heads till they are about gone and smack the rivets out with a punch. This was actually easier for me.

there will be some refinishing to do if you want it perfect. You can go all out and paint the entire gun with gunkote or parkerize it or whatever you wish. There will be a bare spot on the bottom where the plate was and whatever scratches you may put in it during the process. Alot of people just get some BBQ grill paint. I think its the krylon that matches the saiga finish very well. That is by far the easiest way. I have also heard of people using a permanent marker for small touch ups.

No you dont need to be a gunsmith to do this. I did my first one knowing very little about guns and nothing about AK type firarms. Just read the tuorials and then read them again. Get all your parts handy and go through the tutorials step by step. It looks and seems way scarier than it really is.

I saw my first Saiga in a hardware store and it really caught my eye I did a web search and found this site. After reading some of the posts I purchased a S-12, I then debated for a few months about converting. I liked the Ace option you are looking at, but at the time it was a do it yourself project, Now somebody at Ace put it all together in a nice package. I finally chose to do the pistol grip conversion,based on a large part by the information the members of this website have freelly provided. I like the results of my work, It has a beter balance and is more compact I hunt in heavy brush. If you decide to convert. Buy new drillbits and center punch they are worth the cost. This website is one large throbing brain linked up through the internet ready willing and able to help you.

Edited by steve