New member, new Saiga!

Just picked up my beauty from the local gun store today. Very excited to get out and shoot this thing. As soon as I put a few rounds through her to get her nice and broken in I will start doing my conversion. Since I don't have the means to do the conversion myself there is a local gunsmith that does a lot of work with ak style guns, so I will be giving it to them. Any other pointers I should take as far as what ammo I should use and stay clear of? Thanks.

-Aaron

IMG_0678.jpg

Welcome, as far as ammo, most try to get theirs to shoot anything they put in it.

That being said, with a bit of work you can get yours to shoot anything that you put in the mag.

Read the stickys and learn as much as you can from them.

Few tips, lube WELL, rails, bolt carrer, bolt lugs,.

Check gas ports, how many and size.

I would get it shooting first than convert if you want, mine is not converted as far as the FCG.(one day I will)

Pick you up some mags, venders here sell them, all sell at about the same price.

most of all, have fun, be safe, and SHOOT THE HELL OUT OF IT!!!

You don't have access to a hammer, screwdriver, drill, and a set of punches?

Before you spend a bunch of money on a "professional" conversion, you should probably research just exactly how easy it is to do it yourself. Seriously, it's about as easy as legos. You're not the type of guy who would choose the best magazine for a weapon by how it looks are you?

^I do have all those minus the punches. I have looked through a lot of the diy's here, just looks intimidating for me and I don't want to screw something up. I have never drilled out rivets before, so I really don't know how I will do.

I guess I will get some punches and go to town lol. Will I need a dremel too?

^I do have all those minus the punches. I have looked through a lot of the diy's here, just looks intimidating for me and I don't want to screw something up. I have never drilled out rivets before, so I really don't know how I will do.

People use them with a cutting disk to cut off the tang (the people that use an internal receiver block with their stock choice), but I found that a good hand and hack saw gets the job done just fine. Then just file to flush.

Welcome to the sickness!

Don't be afraid. It is really easy, and enjoyable! You will have fun doing it yourself and enjoy your Saiga that much more!

Good Luck and Welcome Aboard.

BTW, don't worry about screwing it up, the only people that can screw up a Saiga is the ATF!!

If you have a dremel, you could use that as well. I used mine for the rivets on the bottom where the original trigger guard and cover plate is installed. As for drilling the rivets going through the receiver, just remember that they can spin so grab them from the inside with some needle-nose. CSS has some videos on Youtube that take you through the whole process, you should watch those first to see if you are up for it.

Seriously though, if you've fixed just about anything around the house, you can do this!

Edited by Caged

If you have a dremel, you could use that as well. I used mine for the rivets on the bottom where the original trigger guard and cover plate is installed. As for drilling the rivets going through the receiver, just remember that they can spin so grab them from the inside with some needle-nose. CSS has some videos on Youtube that take you through the whole process, you should watch those first to see if you are up for it.

Seriously though, if you've fixed just about anything around the house, you can do this!

Ya i Just finished my conversion last night while half drunk. Got the tapco folding stock and hogue monogrip. I found grinding off the original trigger guard rivets with a dremel to be easier than drilling them out. But it is seriously easy following the CSS vids and i know next to nothing about gun internals. DIY dont send it in. Its not tough at all.