Trigger group question

So, I've got a Saiga-.308 and a Saiga-12 now. I've noticed that the trigger groups are different. I've known how they were different before, its just that now I can see them side by side.

This is the thing: My S-12 is a shorty 19" barrel and needs a pistol grippin' somethin' fierce. And I love my S-.308's wood stock too much to pistol grip it, but I DO like how the trigger group works on my S-12.

So it comes down to this: I wanna PG my S-12 and put the trigger group from it into my S-.308. The only thing is, I haven't heard of anybody ever doing that. (Everybody's just "Pistol Grip Happy" around here :rolleyes: )

So, the question is: Can it be done, or has it ever been done? Thanks.

I think one of the reasons everyone converts is that it removes a part that telegraphs the triggers movement to the hammer and tightens up the action. there is an aftermarket mfg. that makes an adjustable trigger that may improve the .308's feel. I think it's Red Star. Someone will correct me if Im wrong. The 308 like the S-12 are a little bit differet inside than the 7.62x39 and the .223 .

I think one of the reasons everyone converts is that it removes a part that telegraphs the triggers movement to the hammer and tightens up the action. there is an aftermarket mfg. that makes an adjustable trigger that may improve the .308's feel. I think it's Red Star. Someone will correct me if Im wrong. The 308 like the S-12 are a little bit differet inside than the 7.62x39 and the .223 .

Thats Red Star arms and thier triggers will not work in an unmodified Saiga

The trigger on the S308 is about the closest to a "standard" AK trigger group of any of the saiga rifles (if I'm remembering right). Instead of having seperate peices to transfer the motion of the trigger, the trigger just extends back and down. If you wanted to put a "standard" saiga trigger group in it, you would have to put a few more holes in the rear parts of the receiver to accomodate the extra pins which hold the "standard" saiga trigger group in place.

All in all, I'd say it's possible, but I have to agree that it seems to be uncharted territory. The biggest problem I foresee is the process of locating where the additional holes need to be. I would suggest using the hammer from the 308's FCG in your conversion, as that seems to be one of the bigger hang-ups with any conversion project.

We all believe in you. I know I'd like to see this project go ahead. Just be careful, thoughtful, and confident; and you'll succeed.