How to mount 2 inches of picatinny on an S12

if you don't mind giving up your rear sight, you could drift it out and drift in another that was ground flat and tapped. 1 fastener is not very good, i know.

if you don't mind giving up your front sight as well, you could get a rail that spans from the rear sight to the gas block. drill and tap the gas block for the second fastener.

or for the top cover, just drill two holes in the top cover and try an contour the bottom of the rail as best you can to match the top cover. tap the rail and you're done. if the rail is too thin, countersink the holes in the rail, use flat head screws and a nut inside the top cover.

• Like 1

or for the top cover, just drill two holes in the top cover and try an contour the bottom of the rail as best you can to match the top cover. tap the rail and you're done. if the rail is too thin, countersink the holes in the rail, use flat head screws and a nut inside the top cover.

this works, or welding

• Like 1

How much clearance is there between the bolt carrier and the top cover?

I was afraid rivet or screw heads would interfere with carrier movement.

Carrier wont be a problem, the shutter will.

I used a rail over the gas tube.

My rear sight is one of the tiny ones, looks like they probably used one off some old makarov.

It does have enough room to tap a hole though. I think I'm going to make a blank that slides into the rear sight dovetail and then I will remove the front sight and drill/tap a hole there.

This will give me a gas tube length rail to mount to and two semi solid spots to drill into.

Thanks for the advice :)

post-18515-0-11695400-1331576163.jpg

Rear sight Dovetail I hear ( unconfirmed ) is the same size as a 1911 rear sight dovetail..... just go to Brownells and search " 1911 dovetail slot blanks "

should run ya all of 5 or 6 bucks.... tap it, screw down your railsection with some red locktite and you should be in buisness.... its one option I entertained briefly while trying to find a way to mount an optic to my 12.... I run a fuglystick on front side so no quads for me....

what I ended up doing instead was makeing a gas tube cover with a rail section on it and screwing it directly into the fugly..... made it out of a ( don't laugh ) quad rail for a double barrel 12 side by side I found on clerance at Amazon for 7 bucks... it kinda clamshells together in the middle and had 6 holes for screws to hold it together... I took 1 half, set it over my gas tube, marked the holes, drilled, bolted.... and now i have about the most sturdy 3 inch section of top sight rail I could imagine and still get to keep my Fugly which I love..... it took a little creative dremiling to get the other rail off the side and countour the bottom to fit the curve of the fugly... but meh, I enjoy tinkering with shit

ETA: pic of said quad......( again...don't laugh damnit, it works great! )

Edited by datrowl
  • Like 1