Remember this thread?

http://forum.saiga-1...-forum-wgoogle/

Does anyone think we could use a search technique sticky? Yeah I know, newbis aren't going to look at stickies etc. But instead of the repetitive "I searched and couldn't find anything" with others suggesting use google with saiga 12 forum + topic, or "this has been gone over a million times". Wouldn't it be easier to refer to a sticky instead of all the spent energy?

As an educator I notice the current "instant gratification" culture being dominate now with phones telling their owners what to do and believe. It is strange how student's get pissed off if you tell them to research it or better yet...trial and error (ie school of hard knocks). Guess I'm out of touch...but I still believe teach someone how to fish and they can have fish fry's ever night (if good at their skill).

So what do you all think? Good idea or just a rant?

Edited by NM0
  • Like 6

Remember this thread?

http://forum.saiga-1...-forum-wgoogle/

Does anyone think we could use a search technique sticky? Yeah I know, newbis aren't going to look at stickies etc. But instead of the repetitive "I searched and couldn't find anything" with others suggesting use google with saiga 12 forum + topic, or "this has been gone over a million times". Wouldn't it be easier to refer to a sticky instead of all the spent energy?

As an educator I notice the current "instant gratification" culture being dominate now with phones telling their owners what to do and believe. It is strange how student's get pissed off if you tell them to research it or better yet...trial and error (ie school of hard knocks). Guess I'm out of touch...but I still believe teach someone how to fish and they can have fish fry's ever night (if good at their skill).

So what do you all think? Good idea or just a rant?

I'm not sure a sticky would help much, that would require searching for how to search. :)

The sentiment is good though.

You have a good point about people expecting to be handed answers too.

Actually researching answers to your own questions seems to be a lost art.

I remember doing hours of research on weekends at the library for school

papers. Kids (and many adults) today really have no concept of what that was like.

Now you get an overflow of info on any subject just by typing a few keys.

• Like 1

Great idea but you have to get them to read first. It's not like the sticky of dreams where if you post it they will learn. Which I think falls into the survival of the fittest, meaning If they're smart enough to use their brain and learn, then they will. Others will continue to post the same, FTE, newbie question, s12 ban(yeah I said it) threads over and over and over and continue to ask the redundant beating a dead horse questions. And we all know that never going to go away.

Read a quote today somewhat relating to this:

Common sence is not a gift, but a punishment as you have to deal with everyone who doesnt have it.

• Like 2

I think an updated search engine would be much nicer. Google offers a search bar that would replace the current search bar and use google to search the site. I'm no PC expert but I'm pretty sure it would be very simple to put in place. I honestly don't understand why the search function on this site hasn't been updated since everyone knows it sucks so bad!

Another option would be to have a "New member" section in the S-12 forum to post all the same reduntant questions that get posted and have a post count limit befor they can post in the regular S-12 area.

• Like 1

I think an updated search engine would be much nicer. Google offers a search bar that would replace the current search bar and use google to search the site.

Nice idea. The mods already do a great job on a voluntary basis. Asking them to do more work could be pushing it (includes the sticky idea too).

Have noticed that many of the wiser more experienced members don't touch the same old BS questions, while other members try to be helpful and feed the BS unintentionally.

Guess wading through a bunch of the same is just part of the forum experience.

Its not asking the mods to do anything. In fact the mods cant do that. It would be the decision and the job of the Administrator/owner of the site. Makc

I like this place just fine like it is so I dont really care but I do think an updated search engine would help with the "I searched but couldnt find anything" questions that come up alot too. Seems if nothing else the business members would want a better search engine since they have to pay to participate here.

Edited by big-J

I put a question in the Mods to do list asking if they could embed Google into the forum search. Probably not going to happen, but if you have ever used a site that has it. That is the way to go. So until then, I will continue to suggest using Google with Saiga 12 in the front. What amazes me is when you suggest it to someone, half the time they get pissed off. But AZG nailed it with the common sense line.