Small but Aggravating Issues

So after months of research, looking at the pros and cons, etc etc. of buying an almighty Saiga 12, I did. After scanning the manuals and booklets, checking the gas ports (3 of em, I was so happy i didn't get a vodka special), and a thorough cleaning to get the heavy storing grease out of every nook and cranny, I took it out to fire. I got the usual break in period issues using winchester #9 target shot from walmart (failures to eject, no semi-automatic action, I only put 50 rounds through it, its all i could afford at the time), and i was absolutely fine with it, knowing i still have at least another 100 rounds before it acts like it should. So, I bring it inside to clean it and practice my dis-assembly and reassembly, and everything looks good as far as I know. So, I decided to go a bit further and remove the stock and handguard to get a better feel for it when I do my conversion. My handguard came off fine, but then I moved onto the stock. Two out of the three screws came out with about 15 minutes of fighting and swearing and breaking two flat-head screwdrivers (the one under the stock and the one hidden by the dust cover), but the third one on the top of the stock wont come out. It started stripping and I still cant get it out. I've been trying for three days now, and now I'm wondering if other people have been dealing with these issues, and I'd rather get help for a stupid issues from the professionals than go through umptine-million screwdrivers or end up permanently stripping the screws and have to drill them out. (If it helps, my S12 was made in '11). The pins that keep the FCG and the other piece (i dunno what that parts called beaten.gif ) are also very stuck in, but i figured I can muscle those out with the right punches.

Edited by ThatMohawkedGuy

Welcome to the world of Sagia, dont losse any sleep over how they fuction.

You could get a very good screw driver and super glue the tip to the screw or

get you a dremel and recut the slot at 90* to the first it it is striped to bad.

I have not had this trouble.

If you want to reuse the stock, fill holes with epoxy , redrill and use phillps head screws.

Makes sense. This is only an exploratory run anyway, so I guess it doesn't really matter until I do my conversion, but I'm that kinda guy, when I get something cool and new, I have to find out every aspect of its construction *shrug*. The screw isn't terribly stripped, I think I'll try your super glue idea tonight. I guess its good that I keep some in my shooting bag. Thanks so much for the assist, I'm looking forward to being a part of this community.

Tap the end of your screw driver with a mallet or something, to try and help jar the screw loose, if you can turn the screw driver as you tap on it, thats even better. I dont think Super Glue is gonna work to well.

You can help speed up break in some by hand cycling the action repeatedly.

You should also try some high brass (slugs/buckshot etc), just to see if your gun even cycles those loads on the correct setting. If those dont cycle, then a good break in period probably isnt going to do much for it. More extensive doctoring might be in order.

Edited by Mullet Man

Tap the end of your screw driver with a mallet or something, to try and help jar the screw loose, if you can turn the screw driver as you tap on it, thats even better. I dont think Super Glue is gonna work to well.

I dont know why I did not think of that, hand impack would do the trick.

Super glue does work if you are careful, not to much glue and keep the screw driver straight.

I use a driver bit so I can get a wrench on it and keep pressure on it with the other hand.

You need a screwdriver that is a tight fit in the slotted head. If the screwdriver is just a little too narrow or thin it WILL bugger up the screw head.

Pony up the $20 - $30 for a good set of gunsmiths screwdrivers.

• Like 1