Another Conversion with Pics (and thanks to Dinzag)

Finally got a chance to do my conversion. Used the Dinzag converted Tapco trigger, which works great, no safety issue (I did have to trim one of the arms slightly so that the safety would work).

Only issue I had was with the damn bolt hold open lever. For the life of me, could not get the spring in, regardless of what I tried (floss trick, pliers, etc). Finally decided to just do without it. Hopefully won't be an issue since the hammer has been modified for the BHO lever. At some point, I may go ahead and notch the safety lever to make a manual bolt hold open.

Here are some pics:

Before:

Before.jpg

Removing the Clinton plate- That weld was a PIA, but got it eventually, although I may have grinded a little too much:

ClintonPlate.jpg

Plate Removed:

PlateRemoved.jpg

Painted Receiver:

PaintedReceiver.jpg

Internals- no BHO lever:

Internal.jpg

After:

After.jpg

The Bipod is a cheapie UTG that I had. What was neat about it is it included a swivel mount. The stock swivel didn't work with the mount, however, I had a spare Mikes Swivel, and it fit perfectly in the existing nut, just had to cut down the threads.

That funny looking thing on the trigger guard is a Commiefornia compliant bullet button...

Next, I'm going to have to shoot it.

Edited by f308gt4
  • Like 1

I found the easiest thing for getting the BHO was to go floss, set everything else up, insert pin up against BHO hole, then pull floss and pray. I can now rip it out and get it back in within a few seconds using this method. Looks great though

Edited by VR6Shooter

Has anyone done the BHO delete using a hammer that has the shorter axis (ie designed to be used with the BHO)? Should I add a washer of the appropriate thickness to the hammer, or are the tolerances OK in this rifle?

I do have a washer that is similar I'm thickness to the BHO lever, but am wondering if it is worthwhile to make the effort of installing.

Edited by f308gt4

I'd fill the area with something if I were going to do that. I know it isnt very likely, but I'd hate to have the trigger slide off the hammer or some other accident that could potentially happen and make the gun erratic and unsafe. Always go by "better safe than sorry" when a firearm is involved

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to take it out and shoot the converted rifle today. No issues, everything worked well. I notched the safety lever before I went out, and I'm glad I did, as I could not really get the magazine in unless the bolt was open (the stock 8-rounder). Has anyone else experienced this with the Saiga 308?

I think I'm going to order a limbsaver for it. After 40 rounds, it starts to take a toll on the old shoulder...

Edited by f308gt4
  • 1 month later...