school me on the gas puck....

need a lesson in saiga ops, so what does the puck do? act like hydraulics to get a bigger srfc area to exert more force on the bolt carrier?

so i was thinking, with all hte aftermarket booster puck out there, why could you just mod your oem puck? or i assume that has been discussed already? and hows aboot polishing the puck travel area? would that accomplish anything positive? i assume not as it will get dirty as hell very fast...

I would not mess with the inside of the gas block, if ya make it to big you will be looking for a new gas block.

As far as how things work, the puck does the first push to unlock the bolt lugs, from there,

well I say some gas and some recoil makes the rest happen.

Now I know some one will come in and clear things up as how it all works.

• 2 weeks later...

The "puck" or gas piston is the part that traps gases from the gas ports in the barrel and converts that pressure/energy into rearward motion of the op-rod and BCG. Some pucks have been cupped to help trap gases from exscaping before the energy is converted. Several factors have to be considered with modification of the puck. Weight is as much a factor as bypass of gases. Do not attempt to polish the gas tube or puck as this will alter (increase) the clearance between the two parts and will lead to gases exscaping before the energy is converted into motion to operate the bolt resulting in FTE situations.

• 8 months later...

I would not mess with the inside of the gas block, if ya make it to big you will be looking for a new gas block.

As far as how things work, the puck does the first push to unlock the bolt lugs, from there,

well I say some gas and some recoil makes the rest happen.

Now I know some one will come in and clear things up as how it all works.

I recently purchased my S-12...haven't shot it yet but I've taken it apart a couple times, and I was hoping for a bit more explanation on how things work. The puck only looks to have about 1" of travel or less, and then seems to block the gas from going down the gas tube. Even if the expanding gasses get past the puck, the BCG seems to have a lot of clearance around it to allow the gasses to pass by.

I guess my questions would be:

What drives the BCG the 3"-4" needed to cycle everything? I've seen a lot of discussion of FTE and a lot of focus on the gas ports and the gas puck - but if the puck essentially just unlocks the bolt lugs and starts everything, it would seem that the ports and puck would be a minor player.

Where do the spent gasses from the gas ports exhaust to? Are they forced back through the ports once the shot has left the barrel?

Does the puck in fact block the ported gasses from going down the gas tube, and if not, do they just vent out the ejection port/dust cover?

Thanks all - lots of great information here!

The puck converters the gas system from traditional AK long stroke to a sorry stroke gas system. The puck actually transfers the gas energy efficiently enough that the initial push give enough momentum to carrier the moving parts through their full cycle. AK s are impulse operation. That's why the rifles can use vented gas tubes and still operate.the only purpose of the puck is to make greater use of the lower pressures in a shot gun.