possible TGI Knox .223 extractor issues!

Hey all,

Been a while now since ive posted. about 4-6 months ago I bought a Saiga .223 from J&G when they were going for $299.99 (TGI Knox TN import stamp) . Since i have other saiga's to play with, i thought id take my sweet time and do a CORRECT Galil conversion. Long story short, the gun has NEVER been fired and i just installed the bullet guide from CSS today to be able to run Galil mags. Heres the problem im having: No magzine in the gun, everything cycles flawlessly! Empty mag in the gun...again, Flawless! When there is Ammo in the mag, the BCG will not close all the way forward. pulled the BCG/bolt to play with the extractor claw/spring only to find that it is abnormally tight, thus not allowing the claw extractor to reach around and grab the rim of the cartridge!

This is the first time i have ever encountered this problem with a Saiga or any AK type rifle for that matter, and im wondering if good ol' Ivan is on the job producing vodka specials again...hope not! Has anyone else had this problem since the TGI Knox Saiga's arrived stateside?

need some backup guys/gals!!!

thanX,

-RR

Edited by RoughRider666

Is the bolt carrier moving forward under the power of the recoil spring alone? How far from being fully in battery is the bolt? Does the first round in the magazine move forward at all when the bolt carrier gets stuck?

I've had some steel Galil 35-rounders that had some splayed feed lips that would allow round to slam nose-first into the barrel face, mangling them and jamming up the works. Other steel Galil 35-round magazines worked just fine.

Anyway, let this serve as an example to everyone as to why a gun should be test fired before home modifications are made.

Edited by DrThunder88

Is the bolt carrier moving forward under the power of the recoil spring alone? How far from being fully in battery is the bolt? Does the first round in the magazine move forward at all when the bolt carrier gets stuck?

Anyway, let this serve as an example to everyone as to why a gun should be test fired before home modifications are made.

Yeah the bullet is damn near all the way in the chamber and the bolt it as far forward as it can be without the extractor opening up to wrap around the cartridge rim. its almost completely closed... 1/4" at most maybe

after looking at it again closely, it stops at the point right before the bolt has to rotate to lock the lugs in place...god, i hope the headspace didnt come screwed up from the factory sad.png

your right though, I should have fired it pre conversion...i usually do, this is the first time i didnt... karma...

with the dust cover off, i can see the bolt rotate into locking position with no rounds in the mag...the issue only happens with a round in chamber sad.png

*NOTE* I even removed my feed ramp and tried this with my factory 10rd mag and it does the same thing... i think the spring on the extractor is just too strong/stiff for it to function properly...

Edited by RoughRider666

**UPDATE** I figured out my problem. After all the years ive been playing with these guns, how the hell I made such a noobish mistake is beyond me, but I guess it happens to the best of us lol

I was cycling the gun manually with steady even pressure from my hand and not letting the natural momentum from the recoil spring do its work and it wasnt enough force to let everything settle in place (specially on a brandnew unfired gun). I havent had a chance to go out and shoot it yet, but im sure shes gonna be a jewel biggrin.png

I feel like such a n00b sometimes lol

-RR

Edited by RoughRider666

Yep, you cannot really function test an AK while nursing it by hand. All sorts of malfunctions can happen. Cycling by hand will disrupt the timing of several mechanical operations of the action.

And yes, the extractor spring is REALLY tight out of the box, so it's one of those things that requires the full force of the return spring to operate correctly.

• Like 1

Yep, you cannot really function test an AK while nursing it by hand. All sorts of malfunctions can happen. Cycling by hand will disrupt the timing of several mechanical operations of the action.

And yes, the extractor spring is REALLY tight out of the box, so it's one of those things that requires the full force of the return spring to operate correctly.

Man mancat,

I wish you would have been the first one to post a reply lastnight when i posted this, i probably could have cleared this up a lot sooner than i did lol

Edited by RoughRider666