"Shot out" Surplus Gas Block

Does a gas block get "shot out?"

So I'm going to be replacing the gas block on my Saiga with a Bulgarian gas block from a -74 parts kit. The kit was rated as good condition, but probably shot quite a bit. Are there issues with gas blocks being "shot out?" From what I understand this would mean the hot gases eventually open up the hole on the gas block causing the rifle to be "over-gassed." Now I know an AK-47 will operate under many conditions, but I'm trying to get the best quality out of my rifle. Would it be necessary to buy a gas block from KVAR (I understand they are new condition)? I could see that it wouldn't be an issue if the hole in the barrel was more responsible for over-gassing then the gas block hole, but I'd like to see if anyone has a definitive answer.

the only problem i could think of from a surplus gas block would be corrosion damage the last ammo had corrosive primers and was not cleaned for a long time. you could easily check the inside for damage.

the k-var ones will most likely be listed as new if they are new.

is there an issue with the factory one or just after the accessory lug?

the only problem i could think of from a surplus gas block would be corrosion damage the last ammo had corrosive primers and was not cleaned for a long time. you could easily check the inside for damage.

the k-var ones will most likely be listed as new if they are new.

is there an issue with the factory one or just after the accessory lug?

Getting a press so I thought I might as well finish the full conversion. There is small spots of rust in the hole between the chamber and the part where the barrel goes through, but I think a small pipe cleaner would get that clean. There is also a small spot of corrosion in the middle of the chamber at the bottom, but not a big deal. I assumed the Kvar one was new since it's twice the price of a surplus one, but I guess if it was new they'd be better off saying that. Definitely seems to be in good enough condition to not make a difference.

The hole in the gas block should be bigger then the hole in barrel, which leads to believe that the hole in the gas block shouldnt be of concern from "gas cutting". The hole being bigger in the gas block allows for inconsistancy in the end placement of the gas block.

Only thing i would be worried about is the corrosion end of it, like mentioned above and how the chrome lining (if its lined) is holding up.

You're fine if it's not corroded.

And the easiest way to get your gas block aligned is use the pin notch that already exists from the rear pin in the saiga block, to index the rear of your gas block and drive a pin with out drilling there. A bulgy gas block to gas tube will have a little more of a gap than the saiga one did. But will be solid and function fine. I can post a pic of mine if you need one to explain a little better

Edited by hutchsaiga

The hole in the gas block should be bigger then the hole in barrel, which leads to believe that the hole in the gas block shouldnt be of concern from "gas cutting". The hole being bigger in the gas block allows for inconsistancy in the end placement of the gas block.

Only thing i would be worried about is the corrosion end of it, like mentioned above and how the chrome lining (if its lined) is holding up.

Yeah that's what I thought, I figured the guy I heard it from was just trying to defend his expensive Arsenal against the cheaper but comparable quality converted Saigas. My block is chrome-lined and the light bit of surface rust has cleaned right off.

You're fine if it's not corroded.

And the easiest way to get your gas block aligned is use the pin notch that already exists from the rear pin in the saiga block, to index the rear of your gas block and drive a pin with out drilling there. A bulgy gas block to gas tube will have a little more of a gap than the saiga one did. But will be solid and function fine. I can post a pic of mine if you need one to explain a little better

I've been studying the process for a while so I see what you are trying to say. Definitely seems like the easiest way to line things up. And I would prefer the fit to be a little looser anyway, the Bulgarian gas tube I use now fits very, very tight.

My guess is that any erosion of the gas throat adding more gas will offset any erosion of the bore of the gas cylinder that allows more gas to escape around the piston. That was a damn smart tank mechanic!

• Like 1