Mags from overseas. someone please clarify!

i think you may be able to get them if they are disassembled and shipped seperatley from the internals. ive bought mags from vendors in europe and thats how they were shipped and i never had any issues. not sure though on the legality of that either though.

• 4 weeks later...

@ Captain Hero.... would like to know how the parts were separated...and how many mag bodies were shipped together at one time...as I have an identical question as the original poster. It seems that otherwise you run afoul of BATF "form 6" rules and regulations. Seem that if "parts" are sent ( and not complete mags)...and.....if they have a wholesale value of under $100 per package shipment....you should be OK as viewed per Form6 regs... no?

I just now bought 4 Russian bakelites ...and then 5 East German bakelites...and am wondering how to get them "home". They are (for now) being shipped to a good friend in Germany (from the German sellers)....and I intend to have the mags broken down by him into "bare mag housings" ( for one package)...and springs/followers/baseplates...in another package. BUT.... I am reluctant to send 9 units of each in one package. I also intend to have papers included in the package that labels them as "repair parts"...not even mentioning the word "magazine" or "gun". That's exactly what they are for folks who HAVE mags and need replacement or repair of certain pieces.

I also think if the pacakage is less than $100 wholesale value....that the BTFE Form 6 is not necesary.

Oh...there is also the *separate* issue of getting past Customs...what do we do here?

So...any advice on what worked for you ?????

Edited by IPSC45

I took the plunge and emailed BATFE with this question. Here is my letter to them....and their (quick) response which came only 2 days or so...later.

-----

Dear Sir:

As it may apply to applicable law and BATFE Form 6 rules and regulations.....what is BATFE's position on the importation of certain gun magazine ( feeding device) *parts*...and not complete magazines?

The per-shipment value is envisioned to be worth less than $100. What is being considered for purchase and importation are parts like magazine housings, springs, floorplates and followers. This is also a small quantity purchase ( non-repetitive.....non-business...not-for-resale)...... for personal use.

Would it be proper to view such purchases as being outside the jurisdiction and purview of Form 6 ( or other) applicable BATFE firearms regulation ?

Thank you in anticipation if your response.

Best Regards,

- XXXXXXXX

==================

Answer from FES Division of BATFE--->

Based on the information provided, the firearm magazines or firearm magazine parts would need a form 6 for importation. However, there is an exception to this if the value is less than $100. The exception is found in the Federal Firearms Regulation Reference Guide, 2005, ATF Pub. 5300.4, page 107, section 447.41, ©, (2). Also, the individual would not have to be registered as an importer under the AECA because the items are not for resale.